BI is not affiliated Build-a-Bearville or Build-a-Bear Workshop.

Go Back   Bearville Insider Forum > The Red Carpet! Your first stop! > Yikes! I need help!! > Guides & How-to's

Closed Thread
Old 08-08-2012, 06:22 PM
AbbygailBearDiva59
Trading Teddy

AbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond repute
 AbbygailBearDiva59 is offline Status: Offline
Default The Virus Guide of Bearville Insider *By AbbygailBearDiva59* Please don't post, but you can look if you want.

How to Avoid Viruses (and identify them)
Bearville Insider's Virus Guide

INTRODUCTION
So, I've been learning about viruses recently. It's a very important (and interesting!) topic. Here is what I will discuss in this guide:
-Scareware & Rogue (fake) "Security Software" (my favorite topic!)
-Malware/trojan horses
-REAL security software
-Redirects
-Popups
-And more, probably...

Scareware & Rogue (fake) "Security Software"
Have you ever just been sitting, browsing the web as you always do, and all of a sudden, you get a popup for "XP Antivirus 2012" or "Personal Shield Pro"? It can happen sometimes, but usually it doesn't. You probably already could tell this, but both of those are fake. Of course... there's much more than that. Other rogue/fake "security" software includes (trust me, these are just SOME of them):
-SpySheriff (also has other names)
-Navashield (This one might as well be crowned the worst of them all. Not only do you constantly get reminders to "upgrade" your software after it's "expired", you also get the pleasure of listening to some guys who laugh and cuss at you. You also are taken to, er, unpleasant websites. There is a real anti-malware program with a similar name ("Novashield"), but it apparently is one of the worst for detection.
XP Antivirus 2010, 2012
Mac Defender (for Macs)
ANG Antivirus (Not to be confused with the REAL AVG Antivirus)
Antivirus (cheesy name, I know)
Security Essentials 2010, 2011 (Not to be confused with the REAL Microsoft Security Essentials)
These programs often pester you every 30 seconds (or so it seems) to "upgrade" and get "full virus protection". They also may "block" certain parts of the computer, like web browsers, REAL security software (if you have any), and the "Uninstall/Change Programs" section of the Control Panel so it's hard to delete it (or maybe even the entire Control Panel itself).
Here is an image of SpySheriff recommending the "full virus protection":
Click the image to open in full size.
Even by clicking "Continue Unprotected" or "Cancel", or the fake "X" button, the rogue software will be downloaded to your computer. What you'll have to do is open Task Manager. To open Task Manager, simply press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC. On a Mac, to open Activity Monitor (the Mac equivalent), hold down the "Command" and "Shift" buttons. Press and release the A key. Scroll down the list of Applications, and double-click the "Utilities" folder. Find "Activity Monitor", and double-click the icon.
More coming soon...
Closed Thread
Membear Info

ADVERTISEMENT

Tags
abbygail, avoiding viruses, carefultheoatmealmaybehot, virus guide