BI is not affiliated Build-a-Bearville or Build-a-Bear Workshop.

Notices

Closed Thread
Old 08-12-2012, 02:54 PM
kassiered
Polar Bear
BABV Name: kassieorange

kassiered has a reputation beyond reputekassiered has a reputation beyond reputekassiered has a reputation beyond reputekassiered has a reputation beyond reputekassiered has a reputation beyond reputekassiered has a reputation beyond reputekassiered has a reputation beyond reputekassiered has a reputation beyond reputekassiered has a reputation beyond reputekassiered has a reputation beyond reputekassiered has a reputation beyond repute
 kassiered is offline Status: Offline

View Post Originally Posted by st2nic
neighbors being same and shown - 2 separate ways. 1 ship cabins are very limited in amount of decor and number of users - at least whenever I have looked. I could see this being locked down with the cabin numbers being addressed and whatever. the city garden has the same friends and their own decorations available whenever i am signed on plus adding others when we are signed on to server. I have tree house with decorated room. have some furniture in one garden from before change of ciy garden space. both are currently in bearville so the ideas are do-able.
The fact that you happen to see the same people on all the time is a coincidence. If you log in at different times, you will see different people in the list of houses, cabins, beach houses, ski lodges, and city gardens. The list you see depends on what characters are signed in at that particular time -- it is *not* a permanent list, which is why making a permanent neighbour list would require substantial re-coding.

(Try it for yourself if you don't believe me -- the list will change as people log in / log off.)

The cabins are set up the same as the other extra housing areas. If there are a lot of people signed in that have them, the list is very large. If there are only a few people, the list is very small.

The ideas of permanent neighbourhoods and such would require the entire idea of how bearville sets up these places to be re-done. As such, I don't believe it would even be possible without completely and totally re-coding those areas in their entirety -- which is not very practical, even if it is theoretically possible.

Last edited by kassiered; 08-12-2012 at 02:56 PM..
Old 08-12-2012, 05:52 PM
st2nic
Polar Bear
BABV Name: marcoquickbear

st2nic will become famous soon enough
 st2nic is offline Status: Offline
Default city gardens

every time i log in my friends with city gardens are in the list even when they are not signed on or on the same server. the list would work. others with city gardens signed on at that time on that server are in addition. already coded.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:00 AM
kassiered
Polar Bear
BABV Name: kassieorange

kassiered has a reputation beyond reputekassiered has a reputation beyond reputekassiered has a reputation beyond reputekassiered has a reputation beyond reputekassiered has a reputation beyond reputekassiered has a reputation beyond reputekassiered has a reputation beyond reputekassiered has a reputation beyond reputekassiered has a reputation beyond reputekassiered has a reputation beyond reputekassiered has a reputation beyond repute
 kassiered is offline Status: Offline

View Post Originally Posted by st2nic
every time i log in my friends with city gardens are in the list even when they are not signed on or on the same server. the list would work. others with city gardens signed on at that time on that server are in addition. already coded.
Since I've already explained why it would need to be recoded (as in, there isn't any code currently available that would make a neighbourhood in bearville as is being suggested), and why it would need to be completely redesigned, it might be a good thing to explain instancing and how games like this work.

You can walk around bearville, but to get from area to area, you must click on a name in the map/list or on an arrow on the ground. Then you see a quick loading screen and you are then in the new area.

Now, when you go to your condo, you can only see one house at a time -- yours (or if you clicked on someone's name from the list, their house). The reason you only see one at a time is because it is a single area. All of bearville is set up to let you play in a single area at a time. This is why you have a loading screen between even rooms in your own condo -- you go to a different area.

Instancing is where the idea about neighbours becomes very hard to do (and isn't done in any other game except through a list of people / places that you click on -- no one in any game actually sees a line of many different instanced areas all in one location, actually).

What is instancing? Well, it has a bunch of very technical meanings in terms of programming (I won't go into what exactly an instance is in programming, because it's not necessarily a fun topic), but in this case it means -- can I put furniture down and have it stay there just the way I changed it? If you can add a piece of furniture to an area and have it stay the way you changed that area, then it's instanced.

Non-instanced places are like - town square. You can't make any changes to town square itself. You can go to that area, but you can't change it.

Your condo / ski lodge / etc. are all instanced areas -- what you change, stays changed (unless there's a glitch, lol). This is why we do not have a row of neighbours that we can see when we go to our house. Our house (and their houses) are all instanced. In order to see other people's houses when we go to ours, the area would have to be entirely re-coded. Why?

When I make a change, say, I put a paint on my house, that is stored as a variable I have changed. When I add a plant, that is at least two-three more variables (possible even more). When I add another plant, that is even MORE variables I have just added to my house to make it 'remember' all my changes.

Here is one of my condos:
Click the image to open in full size.

I have a different front, paint, plants at various stages of growth, an animated water spout, a mailbox with mail, etc. Those are all things that the game needs to 'remember'. To make it possible for the game to 'remember' all of those things, we only see one area at a time for places that are instanced. So I can't see my main room at the same time that I see the front of my house. I have to change areas to see my main room.

The house right next to mine *NEVER* changes, so there is nothing for the game to remember, other than to use the "condo area background" so that it looks like there is a house next to mine. It's not instanced, and there isn't anything for the game to remember, thus, it's not coded to remember anything for that house.

This is why seeing someone else's house right next to mine would have to be completely recoded -- the game would have to 'remember' not only MY house, but any of my neighbours as well. There isn't code in the game to do that (you cannot see any two instanced areas at the same time anywhere in the game -- you can't even see any two areas of the game at the same time -- you can't be in the farm AND just flip over to town square without going through a loading screen to get to town square -- thus, changing areas).

Also, here is what I get when I see the list of people's houses (I exited and then went back in immediately, and it changed every time):
This is a non-permanent list, as it changed the people (because they log on / log off) in the span of two minutes.

Last edited by kassiered; 08-13-2012 at 01:51 AM..
Old 08-13-2012, 12:28 PM
mipie9
Polar Bear
BABV Name: kianaimclever

mipie9 is on a distinguished road
 mipie9 is offline Status: Offline

View Post Originally Posted by Kelseybubblebear
I like the hotel idea! That would be awesome! Also, maybe there could be an option to rent homes away from home?
I let a friend of mine rent my beachfront for no cost.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:38 PM
MollyFlyer
BABV Name: MollyFlyer

MollyFlyer has a brilliant futureMollyFlyer has a brilliant futureMollyFlyer has a brilliant futureMollyFlyer has a brilliant futureMollyFlyer has a brilliant futureMollyFlyer has a brilliant futureMollyFlyer has a brilliant futureMollyFlyer has a brilliant futureMollyFlyer has a brilliant futureMollyFlyer has a brilliant futureMollyFlyer has a brilliant future
 MollyFlyer is offline Status: Offline

Yes, she did edit my comment, and clearly ignored the original content when doing so. FYI: Reporting me would only make you look bad, as there is no rule against raising valid objections.

And I think you misread my comment on the other post -- I was debating with the people who thought the earrings were inappropriate for Bearville. I take no issue with the earrings.

If you actually looked around, you'd see that I have, in fact, submitted suggestions to Maxine before. My issue with an airport is that it simply isn't feasible -- there's only a slim chance that Bearville will even open up Hugsville to all members, let alone new towns, and even then there's no reason for them not to simply let us take the trains there.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:55 PM
StephanyScooter
Banned

StephanyScooter is a jewel in the roughStephanyScooter is a jewel in the roughStephanyScooter is a jewel in the rough
 StephanyScooter is offline Status: Offline

View Post Originally Posted by MollyFlyer
Yes, she did edit my comment, and clearly ignored the original content when doing so. FYI: Reporting me would only make you look bad, as there is no rule against raising valid objections.

And I think you misread my comment on the other post -- I was debating with the people who thought the earrings were inappropriate for Bearville. I take no issue with the earrings.

If you actually looked around, you'd see that I have, in fact, submitted suggestions to Maxine before. My issue with an airport is that it simply isn't feasible -- there's only a slim chance that Bearville will even open up Hugsville to all members, let alone new towns, and even then there's no reason for them not to simply let us take the trains there.
Yeah. It would take a long time to get Hugsville to open because they would have to create new locations and such, I mean I'm not saying it's a bad idea or anything but in my opinion, it's a bit pointless. I don't really know how to explain.

---

No offense to that person, but that's really mean. You made it look as if Molly was trying to say something rude and it's also unkind to tell her she was annoying someone over something that she didn't do. I suggest you edit that part out of your post and re-word it.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:29 PM
fluffy123
Polar Bear
BABV Name: FluffyRockin13

fluffy123 is a splendid one to beholdfluffy123 is a splendid one to beholdfluffy123 is a splendid one to beholdfluffy123 is a splendid one to beholdfluffy123 is a splendid one to beholdfluffy123 is a splendid one to beholdfluffy123 is a splendid one to behold
 fluffy123 is offline Status: Offline

View Post Originally Posted by StephanyScooter
That's not nice, and it looks like you edited Molly's quote.
He has done that to me tons of times.-.-
Old 08-21-2012, 10:12 AM
st2nic
Polar Bear
BABV Name: marcoquickbear

st2nic will become famous soon enough
 st2nic is offline Status: Offline
Default dye at common washer

our family in real life has been having to take our clean clothes to the laundrymat to dry them.
our dryer in the residence is not meeting expectations.
but would love to have feature of changing colors of clothes after purchase. as a guy, cannot get the color i want so being able to dye in common washer like my mother has would be another good usable laundrymat feature.
i like sparkling metallic colors especially like silver and gold.

not trying to offend, i apologize. if you want to discuss such, not understanding why needs to happen on cyberguide suggestions thread.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:47 AM
harryadventurous216
Trading Teddy
BABV Name: HarryAdventurous216

harryadventurous216 is a name known to allharryadventurous216 is a name known to allharryadventurous216 is a name known to allharryadventurous216 is a name known to allharryadventurous216 is a name known to allharryadventurous216 is a name known to all
 harryadventurous216 is offline Status: Offline

I like the airport, hotel and supermarket idea. They sound cool!

We don't need a laundromat. Our clothes don't get stinky on a virtual world!

Seeing neighbours wouldn't work. You can see people's houses, but meet-ups would be virtually impossible, like what everyone else has said.
Closed Thread
Membear Info

ADVERTISEMENT

Tags
cybearguide, nadineadventurebear38, suggestion