BI is not affiliated Build-a-Bearville or Build-a-Bear Workshop.

Closed Thread
Old 09-15-2012, 11:16 PM
AllyAllHeart101
Polar Bear
BABV Name: Season 3! *squee*

AllyAllHeart101 is a glorious beacon of lightAllyAllHeart101 is a glorious beacon of lightAllyAllHeart101 is a glorious beacon of lightAllyAllHeart101 is a glorious beacon of lightAllyAllHeart101 is a glorious beacon of light
 AllyAllHeart101 is offline Status: Offline
Default Mentoring Program

Hey all,
I just had this idea about mentors on BI.
I notice a lot of newbies breaking the rules without reading them, or getting confused and frustrated quickly. In order to help the newbies, I think BI should have a mentoring program.

The program would work like this:
Everyone who applies to be a mentor {and meets the criteria} will be matched with a newbie who would like a mentor.{There could be several ways to ask them this; maybe even in the registration form itself?} If the newbie {I'll refer to them as an 'Apprentice' for now since it fits xD} has any questions, they can simply VM their mentor.
Their mentor can also check in with them periodically via VM to see if they're having any problems adjusting to BI.

The program will help newer members keep from breaking the rules as often {if at all} and will help them fit into the BI community with a fast, smooth transition.

I think the criteria for mentors should be:
~Been a member of BI for {at least} one year
~Has had {at least} 500 posts {This might be changed...still thinking about it}
~Is on {at least} 2-3 times a week. This rule is nothing against people who simply cannot make it on often enough because they are busy, it is for the Apprentice's own good.
Ex~Apprentice has an urgent question they're online often enough to help.

The above criteria is just what I think is the minimum experience a BI member should have before taking on the job of helping a newer member.
There could always be more criteria, I'll take suggestions.
Hope you liked my ideas,
~Twilight {Ally}

Last edited by AllyAllHeart101; 09-16-2012 at 03:40 PM..
Old 09-16-2012, 01:55 AM
blazetaurus3
Polar Bear
BABV Name: Blazetaurus3

blazetaurus3 has a spectacular aura aboutblazetaurus3 has a spectacular aura about
 blazetaurus3 is offline Status: Offline

That's a really clever idea :-o Just one thing: what happens if the /mentor/ breaks the rules? Maybe they could get the mentor thingy taken away and the apprentice gets someone else as a mentor..? I like that idea though, it would be cool to be a mentor
Old 09-16-2012, 04:22 AM
AliceDecember7
Trading Teddy
BABV Name: alice

AliceDecember7 has a reputation beyond reputeAliceDecember7 has a reputation beyond reputeAliceDecember7 has a reputation beyond reputeAliceDecember7 has a reputation beyond reputeAliceDecember7 has a reputation beyond reputeAliceDecember7 has a reputation beyond reputeAliceDecember7 has a reputation beyond reputeAliceDecember7 has a reputation beyond reputeAliceDecember7 has a reputation beyond reputeAliceDecember7 has a reputation beyond reputeAliceDecember7 has a reputation beyond repute
 AliceDecember7 is offline Status: Offline

I love that o: we should have a test of it first to see how it goes and to see if the mentors are doing everything right and yeah great idea :3
Old 09-16-2012, 06:01 AM
ZoeAries7
Polar Bear

ZoeAries7 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeAries7 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeAries7 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeAries7 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeAries7 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeAries7 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeAries7 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeAries7 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeAries7 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeAries7 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeAries7 has a reputation beyond repute
 ZoeAries7 is offline Status: Offline

nice idea, i really like the sound of it!(:
Old 09-16-2012, 06:58 AM
FayeTeddyBear
Trading Teddy

FayeTeddyBear has a reputation beyond reputeFayeTeddyBear has a reputation beyond reputeFayeTeddyBear has a reputation beyond reputeFayeTeddyBear has a reputation beyond reputeFayeTeddyBear has a reputation beyond reputeFayeTeddyBear has a reputation beyond reputeFayeTeddyBear has a reputation beyond reputeFayeTeddyBear has a reputation beyond reputeFayeTeddyBear has a reputation beyond reputeFayeTeddyBear has a reputation beyond reputeFayeTeddyBear has a reputation beyond repute
 FayeTeddyBear is offline Status: Offline

I love that idea Twilight.
If I think back to when I was a newbie, I would have really liked someone to come and help me with everything, show me where things were, friend me and become one of my first buddies on here. Like a guide at a new school.

The option to choose whether you want a mentor is a good idea, because some new members might already be familiar with WI, other Bearville forums or have looked around BI before deciding to join.

It's really noticeable that any new members who join only post once or twice then never come back, don't read the rules and get banned the next day, or type in text speak without use of punctuation which can annoy some members and put them off exchanging VMs with these members.
If I think back to this time last year, members like Sammie and Choco had just joined, and look what position they hold in BI now. Recently there haven't been many members who after joining, manage to get over 100 posts and come on every day.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:44 AM
ChocoLuv
Polar Bear
BABV Name: choco ☆

ChocoLuv is a splendid one to beholdChocoLuv is a splendid one to beholdChocoLuv is a splendid one to beholdChocoLuv is a splendid one to beholdChocoLuv is a splendid one to beholdChocoLuv is a splendid one to beholdChocoLuv is a splendid one to beholdChocoLuv is a splendid one to behold
 ChocoLuv is offline Status: Offline

Love the idea, Ally c:
I would love to help out since I've been on a year now xD
Anyways, I wish we had this before. I could've used a mentor.
I hope this suggestion makes it through (:

Faye- What position am I on? Hmm? xD
Old 09-16-2012, 07:47 AM
DiamondLove290
Polar Bear
BABV Name: DiamondLove290

DiamondLove290 is a splendid one to beholdDiamondLove290 is a splendid one to beholdDiamondLove290 is a splendid one to beholdDiamondLove290 is a splendid one to beholdDiamondLove290 is a splendid one to beholdDiamondLove290 is a splendid one to beholdDiamondLove290 is a splendid one to behold
 DiamondLove290 is offline Status: Offline

I really like this idea (:
You should VM a moderator/admin with this idea
Old 09-16-2012, 08:37 AM
AllyAllHeart101
Polar Bear

AllyAllHeart101 is a glorious beacon of lightAllyAllHeart101 is a glorious beacon of lightAllyAllHeart101 is a glorious beacon of lightAllyAllHeart101 is a glorious beacon of lightAllyAllHeart101 is a glorious beacon of light

View Post Originally Posted by blazetaurus3
That's a really clever idea :-o Just one thing: what happens if the /mentor/ breaks the rules? Maybe they could get the mentor thingy taken away and the apprentice gets someone else as a mentor..? I like that idea though, it would be cool to be a mentor
Alice pretty much solved it xD

Last edited by AllyAllHeart101; 09-16-2012 at 08:38 AM..
GabbyGirl88
Polar Bear

GabbyGirl88 has a reputation beyond reputeGabbyGirl88 has a reputation beyond reputeGabbyGirl88 has a reputation beyond reputeGabbyGirl88 has a reputation beyond reputeGabbyGirl88 has a reputation beyond reputeGabbyGirl88 has a reputation beyond reputeGabbyGirl88 has a reputation beyond reputeGabbyGirl88 has a reputation beyond reputeGabbyGirl88 has a reputation beyond reputeGabbyGirl88 has a reputation beyond reputeGabbyGirl88 has a reputation beyond repute
 GabbyGirl88 is offline Status: Offline

This is a really great idea, I mean I am guessing many of the newbies get confused and just leave, which is really sad. Ask Anne or Molly, I am sure they would approve of this, because I think it's really great.
AllyAllHeart101
Polar Bear

View Post Originally Posted by AliceDecember7
I love that o: we should have a test of it first to see how it goes and to see if the mentors are doing everything right and yeah great idea :3
Exactly what I was thinking xD
Closed Thread
Membear Info

ADVERTISEMENT