BI is not affiliated Build-a-Bearville or Build-a-Bear Workshop.

Go Back   Bearville Insider Forum > Be Beariffic! > Bearemy's Giveaways

Closed Thread
Old 11-10-2012, 06:17 PM
MeghanMusicLuvr28
Sage Bear

MeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond repute
 MeghanMusicLuvr28 is offline Status: Offline

What are some holidays in Canada and other countries that you guys think we should celebrate in Bearville? Maybe if we all ask them nicely they might add some of them.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:21 AM
MollyFlyer
BABV Name: MollyFlyer

MollyFlyer has a brilliant futureMollyFlyer has a brilliant futureMollyFlyer has a brilliant futureMollyFlyer has a brilliant futureMollyFlyer has a brilliant futureMollyFlyer has a brilliant futureMollyFlyer has a brilliant futureMollyFlyer has a brilliant futureMollyFlyer has a brilliant futureMollyFlyer has a brilliant futureMollyFlyer has a brilliant future
 MollyFlyer is offline Status: Offline

Hmm, interesting thought . . . *checks countries that Bearville has stores in against Wikipedia's list of holidays by country*

Canada day, for one; they could open the Store Fur All Seasons in late June through mid-July and offer both Canada Day and Independence Day stuff -- picnic supplies, flags, bbq stuff, what have you. Respect both countries. Maybe even include Bastille Day for France (July 14).

Australia day might be interesting -- we don't really have any Australia-related stuff in Bearville beyond a few PSIs.

Guy Fawkes Day for the UK -- toss in something fireworks-themed and the specific meaning won't matter, because pretty much everyone likes fireworks (a bonfire might also be appropriate, but we've got enough of those from Camp Happy Heart prizes . . . could go either way).

Maybe Veteran's Day/Remembrance Day (celebrated in Canada, the US, and other countries, though by different names). Something neutral, like a wearable old-fashioned helmet . . . though there could be complaints over associating it with war. You never know what people might object to.

Fastelavn sounds like it could be fun! Sort of like Halloween, but with baked goods involved.

A dragon boat festival for Children's Day would be awesome.

I'd like to see something for Mexico's Day of the Dead. Candy skulls or flowers or the like -- no worse than Halloween, but an interesting change.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:25 AM
MeghanMusicLuvr28
Sage Bear

MeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond repute
 MeghanMusicLuvr28 is offline Status: Offline

View Post Originally Posted by MollyFlyer
Hmm, interesting thought . . . *checks countries that Bearville has stores in against Wikipedia's list of holidays by country*

Canada day, for one; they could open the Store Fur All Seasons in late June through mid-July and offer both Canada Day and Independence Day stuff -- picnic supplies, flags, bbq stuff, what have you. Respect both countries. Maybe even include Bastille Day for France (July 14).

Australia day might be interesting -- we don't really have any Australia-related stuff in Bearville beyond a few PSIs.

Guy Fawkes Day for the UK -- toss in something fireworks-themed and the specific meaning won't matter, because pretty much everyone likes fireworks (a bonfire might also be appropriate, but we've got enough of those from Camp Happy Heart prizes . . . could go either way).

Maybe Veteran's Day/Remembrance Day (celebrated in Canada, the US, and other countries, though by different names). Something neutral, like a wearable old-fashioned helmet . . . though there could be complaints over associating it with war. You never know what people might object to.

Fastelavn sounds like it could be fun! Sort of like Halloween, but with baked goods involved.

A dragon boat festival for Children's Day would be awesome.

I'd like to see something for Mexico's Day of the Dead. Candy skulls or flowers or the like -- no worse than Halloween, but an interesting change.
Day of the Dead is one we learned about in school and I was very interested in that one. I will look up the others, they sound really neat.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:49 AM
Kirby
Polar Bear
BABV Name: KirbyBearySmart

Kirby is a jewel in the roughKirby is a jewel in the roughKirby is a jewel in the rough
 Kirby is offline Status: Offline

Now we've truly left reality - the day of the dead would never happen - parents would ban their children. WWI helmets? Out of the question.

We have Cinco de Mayo - that's safe. I wish you luck in getting another token international holiday.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:11 PM
MollyFlyer

MollyFlyer has a brilliant futureMollyFlyer has a brilliant futureMollyFlyer has a brilliant futureMollyFlyer has a brilliant futureMollyFlyer has a brilliant futureMollyFlyer has a brilliant futureMollyFlyer has a brilliant futureMollyFlyer has a brilliant futureMollyFlyer has a brilliant futureMollyFlyer has a brilliant futureMollyFlyer has a brilliant future

View Post Originally Posted by Kirby
Now we've truly left reality - the day of the dead would never happen - parents would ban their children. WWI helmets? Out of the question.

We have Cinco de Mayo - that's safe. I wish you luck in getting another token international holiday.
We're brainstorming here. Focusing on potential objections would get EVERY holiday banned. Christmas and Easter? Nuh-uh. They're religious holidays, bad to push religion on anyone. Halloween? It's pagan, it'll turn all kids into devil-worshipers.

The Day of the Dead is a legitimate holiday and not actually objectionable -- heck, even Petpet Park has Day of the Dead stuff. Sure, they'd need to minimize the more macabre aspects, but it could still be interesting.

Cinco de Mayo is an American holiday. Sure, Mexico acknowledges it too, but it's been as Americanized as Taco Bell food. It doesn't count as an international holiday, and dismissing anything as a 'token' international holiday is downright insulting.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:26 PM
BEARILICIOUS
Polar Bear
BABV Name: RACHELAPRIL1300

BEARILICIOUS is a splendid one to beholdBEARILICIOUS is a splendid one to beholdBEARILICIOUS is a splendid one to beholdBEARILICIOUS is a splendid one to beholdBEARILICIOUS is a splendid one to beholdBEARILICIOUS is a splendid one to beholdBEARILICIOUS is a splendid one to beholdBEARILICIOUS is a splendid one to behold
 BEARILICIOUS is offline Status: Offline

I am fine with adding in holidays from other countries, I actually like the idea and hope they do. If you wanted to know how it would feel to have the reverse happen, think about it from the American citizens point of view. Every time they give something that's American in theme or they celebrate one of our holidays people complain. It starts to take the joy out of our celebrations and makes every American event or holiday a debate. I never said it was fair to leave out anyone else, but it definitely makes me feel like there's a lot of people who would rather America just disappear altogether. I want to be proud of my country just like everyone else does.

Here's a suggestion, if you feel like you're being left out, why not just simply ask to be included instead of bashing everything American in the process? There's no need to be negative or disagreeable.

Also you need to keep in mind from a business stand point, I'm sure without doing research that since Build a Bear is an American based (international) company, they probably have more stores and sell more per capita in the American industry than they do elsewhere. Given this consideration they will lean towards the American market more just as any other company would. They spend more dollars marketing where there will be more return, it's just business sense.

As for the suggestions for other Holidays, you also have to keep in mind that BB can only accommodate so many, so trying to get to holidays from every country they sell to wouldn't be probable.

It would be cool if they were able to celebrate holidays that overlap each other such as Halloween & Day of the Dead as well as Christmas & Hanukkah, but you could log into the country that corresponds to see the different celebrations. For example, during Christmas, if you log into the North America Dens you'll get to experience Christmas, but if you log into the Asian Dens you could experience Hanukkah since that's where Israel is. However, I doubt they have enough man power to do this, it would just be cool.

Last edited by BEARILICIOUS; 11-11-2012 at 04:37 PM..
Old 11-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Kirby
Polar Bear

Kirby is a jewel in the roughKirby is a jewel in the roughKirby is a jewel in the rough

It must be true that the vast majority of their revenue comes from the U.S. As such they can't celebrate something that would be confusing to the majority of young kids who are just coming to play and have fun. However, this just goes to explain the lack of attention the international crowd gets. Sorry.

I agree that labor day was a missed opportunity with those peace sign American flag glasses, which made no sense. We're not going to see Boxing Day, Victoria Day, Orangemen's Day, Oktober Fest, nor Thanksgiving celebrated a month early. So, they shouldn't miss these small opportunities. At the same time, I wouldn't complain too much about the election day tie-in, which is a nice lesson in civic responsibility for the little ones. Maybe you were just on flag overload by that point.

Meanwhile, we still have St. Patrick's Day, Easter, Cinco De Mayo, Christmas, Hanukah, and delayed Thanksgiving. I also enjoyed our Olympic get together this year. So, let's try to meet online more and make everyone feel welcome. I know I really appreciate the international members I've met so far, Mexican, Canadian, British, and New Zealand. Love PR too (not international, I know). If you're from somewhere else, I just haven't met you yet
Old 11-12-2012, 02:33 PM
MollyFlyer

View Post Originally Posted by BEARILICIOUS
I am fine with adding in holidays from other countries, I actually like the idea and hope they do. If you wanted to know how it would feel to have the reverse happen, think about it from the American citizens point of view. Every time they give something that's American in theme or they celebrate one of our holidays people complain. It starts to take the joy out of our celebrations and makes every American event or holiday a debate. I never said it was fair to leave out anyone else, but it definitely makes me feel like there's a lot of people who would rather America just disappear altogether. I want to be proud of my country just like everyone else does.

Here's a suggestion, if you feel like you're being left out, why not just simply ask to be included instead of bashing everything American in the process? There's no need to be negative or disagreeable.
Your accusations are unfounded. We have nothing against America. There is nothing wrong with taking pride in your country. What we're against is the site deliberately excluding every other country in the world -- preventing anyone else from having the chance to take pride in their own country. It would cost them nothing to make the Labour Day gift a normal pair of sunglasses, or to hand out a Bearville flag for the Bearville election, or to acknowledge Canada Day. Instead, they hand out things that stamp your flag over everything, making it clear that they don't care about anyone else. They ignore our holidays, and make everything about them.

We are arguing for a site that actually comes across as an international site, as they claim, rather than sticking with an ethnocentric bias. We don't want America to go away. We just want America to remember it isn't the only country on the planet.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:10 AM
Kirby
Polar Bear

View Post Originally Posted by MollyFlyer
...We just want America to remember it isn't the only country on the planet.
Aaaaand suddenly this isn't about Bearville anymore.
Closed Thread
Membear Info

ADVERTISEMENT