BI is not affiliated Build-a-Bearville or Build-a-Bear Workshop.

Go Back   Bearville Insider Forum > The Red Carpet! Your first stop! > General Discussion

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2015, 12:35 PM
RachelGirl192
Polar Bear
BABV Name: Rachelgirl192

RachelGirl192 is a splendid one to beholdRachelGirl192 is a splendid one to beholdRachelGirl192 is a splendid one to beholdRachelGirl192 is a splendid one to beholdRachelGirl192 is a splendid one to beholdRachelGirl192 is a splendid one to beholdRachelGirl192 is a splendid one to beholdRachelGirl192 is a splendid one to behold
 RachelGirl192 is offline Status: Offline

... and even this small percentage of bears brought to life are a LOT of bears on bearville!

And if they want to save money, then they can start saving elsewhere, too (coming back to the new logo and the expenses connected to that, already discussed in a different thread. With this amount of money, they could easily have supported bearville a lot longer.).
We don't want anyone to lose their JOB but let's face it, we lost our whole WORLD.

Oh, and I DID write to them a LOT and so did other family members, I even told them about the nightmares and about the heartbreaking "they forgot to put a heart into Sharon John" story, but they did not even bother to reply.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:20 PM
Samantha♥
Polar Bear

Samantha♥ has a spectacular aura aboutSamantha♥ has a spectacular aura aboutSamantha♥ has a spectacular aura about
 Samantha♥ is offline Status: Offline

They probably would be sad, but they probably won't really care. I doubt that they would do anything about it. They knew that the virtual world made tons of us happy and all, but they can't do anything about it now.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:36 PM
Kirby
Polar Bear
BABV Name: KirbyBearySmart

Kirby is a jewel in the roughKirby is a jewel in the roughKirby is a jewel in the rough
 Kirby is offline Status: Offline

Yes, this was strictly a financial decision. If one CEO won't close Bearville, they will fire her and get someone who will. The question was how many additional sales do they get due to Bearville. The 4% registration doesn't matter, as long as they're still making more than the cost to run. Sadly, I think they believed it wasn't paying for itself. Also, it would be hard to justify investing in a flash-based game that won't play on iPads and phones. The number of people who can play Bearville on their devices was always shrinking.

My only complaint is the lack of promotion. In the store there was no display. I'm not surprised at all that mothers wouldn't know that their child had a virtual prize online. Just a tiny picture on the shelf tag was the only clue. In the beginning they had even less. My sisters frantically searched for their old certificates once they learned that they Bearville existed. BABW dropped the ball, but it's too late to fix it.

Brace yourself for BABW itself closing if this cost cutting isn't enough. So, can you see them spending any money to make something cool for babw/play? My guess is that they do nothing with it.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:40 PM
Bambooski
Polar Bear
BABV Name: AbbiSparkleBear4

Bambooski is a jewel in the roughBambooski is a jewel in the roughBambooski is a jewel in the rough
 Bambooski is offline Status: Offline

I totally agree, they never even promoted it and they probably don't really care about us. I too emailed them a lot about Bearville closing, as well as many of my family and friends. Each time we all got the same response.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:45 PM
AbbygailBearDiva59
Trading Teddy

AbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond repute
 AbbygailBearDiva59 is offline Status: Offline

Unfortunately, I doubt that they would care.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:03 PM
FayeTeddyBear
Trading Teddy

FayeTeddyBear has a reputation beyond reputeFayeTeddyBear has a reputation beyond reputeFayeTeddyBear has a reputation beyond reputeFayeTeddyBear has a reputation beyond reputeFayeTeddyBear has a reputation beyond reputeFayeTeddyBear has a reputation beyond reputeFayeTeddyBear has a reputation beyond reputeFayeTeddyBear has a reputation beyond reputeFayeTeddyBear has a reputation beyond reputeFayeTeddyBear has a reputation beyond reputeFayeTeddyBear has a reputation beyond repute
 FayeTeddyBear is offline Status: Offline

If they'd put more effort into publicising Bearville earlier on before its decline, then perhaps a higher percentage of birth certificates would be registered online. I'm sure the percentage of birth certificates registered onto Bearville back in 2007-2009 wasn't 4%; employees would tell you how great the site was and keep giving out extra codes or double credits on receipts for example. Now if they did things like that more often - not even costing BABW any extra - Bearville would have been a more active site.

I understand that they had to make cuts for reasons such as the increase of tablet or smartphone games, and children's overall general decline in interest in stuffed animals. Or maybe it's because BABW is no longer a unique experience for kids; I've seen several make-your-own-bear stores around the world where kids can do it for cheaper since BABs can be quite expensive. It's just sad they decided to make cuts how they have done.

And now all the money they made from virtual gaming cards (probably not a lot but I mean, paying £12 for literally a code and a piece of plastic must have high profit margins etc.) isn't going to come in any more. They also have to allow for losing fans of BABW who have spent potentially hundreds/thousands of pounds/dollars; loyal customers. While Bearville was in its prime whenever I'd go to the mall I'd pop into BABW and get an outfit or two just for the credits and I wouldn't call myself dedicated.

I think it's obvious buildabear.com/play is never going to be a success so now they've lost their way of reaching out to young people or loyal customers in the increasingly online, virtual world (see what I did there).

Last edited by FayeTeddyBear; 04-02-2015 at 10:05 PM..
Old 04-03-2015, 12:32 AM
Teddybeargirl
Trading Teddy
BABV Name: SarahChocolate65

Teddybeargirl has a reputation beyond reputeTeddybeargirl has a reputation beyond reputeTeddybeargirl has a reputation beyond reputeTeddybeargirl has a reputation beyond reputeTeddybeargirl has a reputation beyond reputeTeddybeargirl has a reputation beyond reputeTeddybeargirl has a reputation beyond reputeTeddybeargirl has a reputation beyond reputeTeddybeargirl has a reputation beyond reputeTeddybeargirl has a reputation beyond reputeTeddybeargirl has a reputation beyond repute
 Teddybeargirl is offline Status: Offline

I agree with Kirby and Faye that BABW didn't really put any effort into promoting BABV, even while it was still in its hey day, or even making customers aware of it in the first place. However, speaking for myself and my sisters, we registered every single bear we ever made on BABV. We also spent a lot of money on numerous V.I.B. Memberships, which weren't exactly generously priced themselves.

I don't know the age range of the people who are in charge of anything BABV-related, but I would guess they were probably older people who didn't think an online virtual world had any importance or significance.

And how much money did they spend on the "new, improved" current site and all of the useless videos it consists of? I'm sure that cost a good portion of money that could have gone towards updating BABV.

The bottom line is, there is money in a business, but the employees ultimately decide what they want to spend it on. That's all well and good, but then you need to decide what will be the most profitable in the long-run. I heard absolutely no one clamoring for BABW to change their logo, or to waste money on those ridiculous videos.

The absolute worst part of all of this is their attitude. It just struck me that they didn't even have a farewell celebration during BABV's final days, and even on the last day, the daily activities said, "Come back tomorrow!". And they still want to put the blame on us, like lying about that "survey". Whoever was running BABV these last few years had no idea about it whatsoever.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:50 AM
tweety

tweety has a reputation beyond reputetweety has a reputation beyond reputetweety has a reputation beyond reputetweety has a reputation beyond reputetweety has a reputation beyond reputetweety has a reputation beyond reputetweety has a reputation beyond reputetweety has a reputation beyond reputetweety has a reputation beyond reputetweety has a reputation beyond reputetweety has a reputation beyond repute
 tweety is offline Status: Offline

From personal experience BV was not promoted enough, in fact it was rare to find and employee who knew about it.
I used to travel a lot when I was an active player and I would visit several different BABW and there were only a handful of employees that knew bout BV and the codes, most were clueless to it.
How can BV be successful if the employees don't even know about it?

There was rarely any promotion. I remember when we had to look for the codes in store to complete and redeem a prize every month and in some stores part of the code was all the way in the back where people would easily miss it.

Ever since Maxine left BABW and BV have gone down hill. One store closed in my city and I don't see as many people getting bears as before. Its pretty empty when I pass by them at the mall. I don't even have an interest to go in anymore.

The reason many people left BV was due to the lack of updates, at first we were ok with it, but after a while we got fed up with it. How can they expect to make money from BV if they put no effort into it?

They could of charged a months membership like other sites and games do lets say $8 a month or around that range that is not way too much. I'm sure many of us would of paid a monthly fee to continue playing and getting updates. Instead they just threw in the towel.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:45 AM
NeonSmiley : )
Polar Bear
BABV Name: Used to be ValarieAdventure37

NeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond repute
 NeonSmiley : ) is offline Status: Offline

Quote:
They could of charged a months membership like other sites and games do lets say $8 a month or around that range that is not way too much. I'm sure many of us would of paid a monthly fee to continue playing and getting updates. Instead they just threw in the towel.
I would too. This is exactly the type of thing they should have done. All these videos are a little patronising as well. I understand that Bearville was aimed a younger children, but I'm sure they would grow tired of the high pitched voices playing over 'puppets' too. It's a mediocre attempt at pleasing us - and it hasn't worked.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:37 PM
Bambooski
Polar Bear
BABV Name: AbbiSparkleBear4

Bambooski is a jewel in the roughBambooski is a jewel in the roughBambooski is a jewel in the rough
 Bambooski is offline Status: Offline

I'm shocked to hear employees didn't know about BV.
I TOTALLY agree. I really don't care at all about those videos.
Closed Thread
Membear Info

ADVERTISEMENT

Tags
abbygail, carefultheoatmealmaybehot, frogs rule!!!, i twas here, watermelonphone, with a chance of potatoes