BI is not affiliated Build-a-Bearville or Build-a-Bear Workshop.

Go Back   Bearville Insider Forum > The Red Carpet! Your first stop! > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2019, 08:43 PM
AbbygailBearDiva59
Trading Teddy

AbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond repute
 AbbygailBearDiva59 is offline Status: Offline
Default Revisiting Build-A-Bear's Play site (almost) four years later

I made this thread three and a half years ago when the Play site first opened. The site has changed quite a bit since then, so why not revisit it?

Here's how the site looks right now:
Click the image to open in full size.
As you could probably tell, there isn't as much of a focus on games right now as opposed to activities, like crafts and coloring sheets. All of the activities shown in the image will, when clicked, redirect to a printable PDF. I have no issue with this at all—anything that entertains children and/or brings families together is a good thing.
There are also some other miscellaneous activities, like this cute recipe for Rudolph pitas (as well as two more healthy, Christmas-inspired ideas):
weird how the author's portrait overlaps the site's footer before scrolling down

I don't disapprove of BABW targeting families with fun activities, so I'm going to focus on the games.
There aren't a whole lot of new ones, and many of them are licensed:

But are they any good? Let's begin with Build-A-Bear Adventures.
Quote:
Choose your character and play against the computer in this immersive, dynamic board game.
When you begin to play this game, there are two "board" choices: Merry Mission and Honey Girls ugh. You can play as one of four reindeer - Glisten, Tinsel, Twinkle, or the oh-so-imaginatively named... Reindeer.
To win the game, you must "help Santa save Christmas". This is accomplished by collecting 20 stars, which are used to obtain one present.
Occasionally, a minigame will be played. The outcome of the game will determine how many stars each player receives:
This dancing reindeer would not look out of place on someone's Geocities page in 1998.
After playing three rounds, the game screen went entirely black (the music still played, though).
Overall, I feel that this game would've been fine had it not stopped on me. It's pretty much a third-rate Mario Party for very young children, with cheesy graphics that make BABV look modern (and that isn't actually as bad as it sounds).

On to DreamWorks Trolls Puzzles:
Quote:
Complete the puzzles as quickly as possible!
It's a basic game with 10 different puzzles to try. Not much to say here.

Let's try Catch the Pig Game now:
Quote:
Try to fence the pig in as fast as you can!
This is another game that was very clearly designed to be played on mobile devices. It didn't even show up properly on my screen, but it was playable.
You're given a small amount of fence posts, with the goal of trapping a pig. I feel like this is a ripoff of an app that was popular years ago, but I'm not entirely sure. This game probably took an hour to make.

As you probably already guessed, the How to Train Your Dragon puzzles are the exact same thing as the Trolls puzzles.

What about Spooktacular Party Matching Game?
Quote:
Find the matches as quickly as possible!
It's just your typical card-matching game—nothing new or exciting, but it isn't particularly bad either.

The next page features Honey Girls Puzzle Challenge (which I won't bother opening), Paint Drop Rush, Trick Shot, and Minions Word Search.

Let's begin with Paint Drop Rush (yes, I accidentally got out of order):
Quote:
Collect as many hearts as possible, remember not to take too long to get the heart!
This is another game that was obviously optimized for mobile devices. It's also another game that clearly had no effort put in to the graphics:
This is bordering on MS Paint quality.

Will Trick Shot be any better?
Quote:
Score as many points as possible by kicking the paper into the recycle bins. Bounce the paper off of other cans to make it in hard to reach bins.
This game would have been a bit less terrible with MiguelSunshine instead of the generic bear, but I digress. This is one game I don't see appealing all that much even to young children—either my mouse is malfunctioning or the pressure/distance meter goes way too fast to get to the recycling bin a lot of the time.
I think it's pretty ridiculous how they appear to have used Arial (or at least a very similar font) for the SCORE and LIFE indicators. Arial is a good font, but it looks cheap in a game like this. Funhouse with a stroke would've been so much better, but Build-a-Bear seems to be stuck with their boring sans serif typefaces.
(On an unrelated note, the sound effect that plays when you run out of lives sounds like it came straight out of that space pinball game from Windows XP.)

Minions Word Search is just your typical word search. It's definitely the least awful out of it, Paint Drop Rush, and Trick Shot, yet it would've made more sense as a printable worksheet.

There's only one game left that isn't based on another game or shown in the old thread, and that's Build-A-Bear Pinball.
Quote:
Collect as many hearts as possible, remember not to take too long to get the heart!
This game is very badly made. Not only does the ball often bounce around in the exact same way it did previously, but the heart sometimes spawns in the exact same area as it did previously (or close enough), causing an instant level-up.
This game, as you can see, also has very low-effort graphics.

What do you think of the current Play? I personally feel that BABW should get rid of most of the games and instead focus mainly on the activities.

Play URL: http://play.buildabear.com

Last edited by AbbygailBearDiva59; 02-03-2019 at 11:17 PM.. Reason: Modified title
Old 01-17-2019, 10:52 AM
VanessaMay18
Trading Teddy
BABV Name: VanessaMay18 is alive again!

VanessaMay18 has much to be proud ofVanessaMay18 has much to be proud ofVanessaMay18 has much to be proud ofVanessaMay18 has much to be proud ofVanessaMay18 has much to be proud ofVanessaMay18 has much to be proud ofVanessaMay18 has much to be proud ofVanessaMay18 has much to be proud of
 VanessaMay18 is offline Status: Offline

Thanks for the review, this was really interesting to read!

My comments:
1. The reindeer named reindeer LOL
2. Can't believe they ripped off Mario Party
3. All the game graphics look so bad, what happened to their signature Build-A-Bear Workshop font?
4. Personally I don't like all the third-party things (eg Minions wordsearch, Trolls puzzle), wish they had stayed true to their own company.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:34 PM
st2nic
Polar Bear
BABV Name: marcoquickbear

st2nic has a spectacular aura aboutst2nic has a spectacular aura about
st2nic is online now Status: Online

i do like the board game.

the rest is not worth the effort.
i played many for one summer camp.

what about the virtual hugs?

Old 01-21-2019, 07:35 PM
AbbygailBearDiva59
Trading Teddy

AbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond repute

View Post Originally Posted by VanessaMay18
Thanks for the review, this was really interesting to read!

My comments:
1. The reindeer named reindeer LOL
2. Can't believe they ripped off Mario Party
3. All the game graphics look so bad, what happened to their signature Build-A-Bear Workshop font?
4. Personally I don't like all the third-party things (eg Minions wordsearch, Trolls puzzle), wish they had stayed true to their own company.
They ripped off Mario Party and they couldn't make the game itself work properly!
I feel like all companies are going for the "minimalist" look now. Personally I'm not a fan of this (web/operating system/logo design peaked from 2005-2011 imo), but it at least makes sense for companies that primarily target adults. BABW, on the other hand, is utilizing minimalist design while targeting children, and I don't understand that.

The two old logos don't even look out of place in 2019.
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:45 PM
AbbygailBearDiva59
Trading Teddy

View Post Originally Posted by st2nic
i do like the board game.

the rest is not worth the effort.
i played many for one summer camp.

what about the virtual hugs?

The board game at least appeared to have had effort put into it, unlike the other ones. I'll give them credit for that.
The Hug Day gifs are very cute, but they suffer from a lack of trademark BABW qualities. They look extremely generic.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:35 PM
VanessaMay18
Trading Teddy
BABV Name: VanessaMay18 is alive again!

VanessaMay18 has much to be proud ofVanessaMay18 has much to be proud ofVanessaMay18 has much to be proud ofVanessaMay18 has much to be proud ofVanessaMay18 has much to be proud ofVanessaMay18 has much to be proud ofVanessaMay18 has much to be proud ofVanessaMay18 has much to be proud of
 VanessaMay18 is offline Status: Offline

View Post Originally Posted by AbbygailBearDiva59
They ripped off Mario Party and they couldn't make the game itself work properly!
I feel like all companies are going for the "minimalist" look now. Personally I'm not a fan of this (web/operating system/logo design peaked from 2005-2011 imo), but it at least makes sense for companies that primarily target adults. BABW, on the other hand, is utilizing minimalist design while targeting children, and I don't understand that.

The two old logos don't even look out of place in 2019.
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
I feel so nostalgic/sad when I see the original logo my childhood
All their new design stuff is super ick
Old 01-22-2019, 01:54 AM
AbbygailBearDiva59
Trading Teddy

Just tried replaying BAB Adventures—it blacked out again on the third round. I refreshed and, to my surprise, it resumed where I left off...
for a few seconds before going black again.
I refreshed once more, and it let me play a minigame... before blacking out yet again. Disabling adblock didn't do anything.
Is anyone else having this problem?
Old 02-05-2019, 12:32 AM
AbbygailBearDiva59
Trading Teddy

Here are a few screenshots of the Honey Girls stage in BAB Adventures (which I also can't get to work).

Old 02-05-2019, 05:35 PM
st2nic
Polar Bear
BABV Name: marcoquickbear

st2nic has a spectacular aura aboutst2nic has a spectacular aura about
st2nic is online now Status: Online

View Post Originally Posted by AbbygailBearDiva59
Just tried replaying BAB Adventures—it blacked out again on the third round. I refreshed and, to my surprise, it resumed where I left off...
for a few seconds before going black again.
I refreshed once more, and it let me play a minigame... before blacking out yet again. Disabling adblock didn't do anything.
Is anyone else having this problem?
same issue. on 3rd round.

on honey girls also. some character mp4 not found
Membear Info

ADVERTISEMENT

Tags
bear hug