BI is not affiliated Build-a-Bearville or Build-a-Bear Workshop.

Closed Thread
Old 06-02-2012, 02:28 PM
NeonSmiley : )
Polar Bear
BABV Name: Used to be ValarieAdventure37

NeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond repute
 NeonSmiley : ) is offline Status: Offline
Default Metaphors

QUICK:
Metaphors are similar to similies.
Similies are like this:
Josh ran as quick as a tiger.
Or...
I picked up the clothes as slow as a snail.
its like using as words to create it.
a metaphor is basically taking out those AS, words.
EX;
Instead of.
Josh ran as qucik as a tiger.
It is,
Josh was a tiger, running.

instead of i piked up the clothes as slow as a snail.
I was a snail, picking up clothes wearily.

ALL WRITING GUIDES ARE FOR AJCOOL C:

CREDIT TO HARRYADVENTUREOUS216 FOR THESE.
He was as loud as a lion roaring through Africa.
He was a lion, roaring through Africa.

He was as tall as Big Ben.
He was Big Ben.

He was as slow as a snail as he was walking his friend's house.
He was a snail when he was walking to his friend's house.

He was as shy as a panda in China.
He was a panda in China.

Last edited by NeonSmiley : ); 06-02-2012 at 02:38 PM..
Old 06-02-2012, 02:34 PM
harryadventurous216
Trading Teddy
BABV Name: HarryAdventurous216

harryadventurous216 is a name known to allharryadventurous216 is a name known to allharryadventurous216 is a name known to allharryadventurous216 is a name known to allharryadventurous216 is a name known to allharryadventurous216 is a name known to all
 harryadventurous216 is offline Status: Offline

Here are a few metaphors:

He was as loud as a lion roaring through Africa.
He was a lion, roaring through Africa.

He was as tall as Big Ben.
He was Big Ben.

He was as slow as a snail as he was walking his friend's house.
He was a snail when he was walking to his friend's house.

He was as shy as a panda in China.
He was a panda in China.

He was as scary as a monster, Halloween and a dracula put together.
He was a monster, Halloween and dracula put together.

We learn about these at school. xD
Old 06-02-2012, 02:37 PM
NeonSmiley : )
Polar Bear
BABV Name: Used to be ValarieAdventure37

NeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond repute
 NeonSmiley : ) is offline Status: Offline

I'll use them and credit you in examples
Old 06-02-2012, 02:56 PM
AJCool
Trading Teddy
BABV Name: -

AJCool has much to be proud ofAJCool has much to be proud ofAJCool has much to be proud ofAJCool has much to be proud ofAJCool has much to be proud ofAJCool has much to be proud ofAJCool has much to be proud ofAJCool has much to be proud of
 AJCool is offline Status: Offline

Great! Never had I thought an entire thread would be dedicated to me. xD What a pleasant surprise!
Don't forget, Valarie. Similes are not only constructed with the word "as." People also use "like" as a way to compare two unlike things.

For example:
I remember, you slowly ambled down the hallways, eyes wandering at the colossal school building like it was the Taj Mahal or a queen's palace.
I live with my family on a small town near an abandoned dirt road, and silence is heard and is about like a plague.

Overall, I'm very impressed. Figurative language is a joy to work with and your thread just makes it all the better. Keep it up. [=

Last edited by AJCool; 06-02-2012 at 03:01 PM..
Old 06-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Choco Devil
Polar Bear
BABV Name: яìℓìαиє.♥

Choco Devil is a splendid one to beholdChoco Devil is a splendid one to beholdChoco Devil is a splendid one to beholdChoco Devil is a splendid one to beholdChoco Devil is a splendid one to beholdChoco Devil is a splendid one to beholdChoco Devil is a splendid one to behold
 Choco Devil is offline Status: Offline

Thank you for posting this. I liked reading the examples, they were pleasant to read.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:31 PM
cookiesmaster
Trading Teddy
BABV Name: Jen

cookiesmaster is a splendid one to beholdcookiesmaster is a splendid one to beholdcookiesmaster is a splendid one to beholdcookiesmaster is a splendid one to beholdcookiesmaster is a splendid one to beholdcookiesmaster is a splendid one to behold
 cookiesmaster is offline Status: Offline

Isn't a Metaphor taking out "as" and "like"?
Old 06-06-2012, 08:55 PM
MadelyneCinnamon3
Polar Bear

MadelyneCinnamon3 has a brilliant futureMadelyneCinnamon3 has a brilliant futureMadelyneCinnamon3 has a brilliant futureMadelyneCinnamon3 has a brilliant futureMadelyneCinnamon3 has a brilliant futureMadelyneCinnamon3 has a brilliant futureMadelyneCinnamon3 has a brilliant futureMadelyneCinnamon3 has a brilliant futureMadelyneCinnamon3 has a brilliant futureMadelyneCinnamon3 has a brilliant futureMadelyneCinnamon3 has a brilliant future
 MadelyneCinnamon3 is offline Status: Offline

cookiesmaster-Yes, I believe so.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:08 PM
karenbearhug
Trading Teddy
BABV Name: karenbearhug

karenbearhug has a reputation beyond reputekarenbearhug has a reputation beyond reputekarenbearhug has a reputation beyond reputekarenbearhug has a reputation beyond reputekarenbearhug has a reputation beyond reputekarenbearhug has a reputation beyond reputekarenbearhug has a reputation beyond reputekarenbearhug has a reputation beyond reputekarenbearhug has a reputation beyond reputekarenbearhug has a reputation beyond reputekarenbearhug has a reputation beyond repute
 karenbearhug is offline Status: Offline

View Post Originally Posted by cookiesmaster
Isn't a Metaphor taking out "as" and "like"?

A metaphor is not just taking out "like" or "as", but transforming something into another thing.

For example - I was a roaring lion when I didn't get dinner on time. I'm changing myself into a "roaring lion".

The best way to remember them is that a simile shows the comparison between two things and a metaphor describes one thing.

Another type of figurative language is personification - where you put a human attribute onto an inanimate object. For example "The plants were begging for water" or "The moon smiled down from the night sky".

Last edited by karenbearhug; 06-06-2012 at 11:10 PM..
Old 06-07-2012, 06:32 AM
DiamondLove290
Polar Bear
BABV Name: DiamondLove290

DiamondLove290 is a splendid one to beholdDiamondLove290 is a splendid one to beholdDiamondLove290 is a splendid one to beholdDiamondLove290 is a splendid one to beholdDiamondLove290 is a splendid one to beholdDiamondLove290 is a splendid one to beholdDiamondLove290 is a splendid one to behold
 DiamondLove290 is offline Status: Offline

Thanks for posting
I used a lot of similes and metaphors in my english writing exam last week!
Old 06-16-2012, 02:49 AM
JessyWeasley
Banned

JessyWeasley has much to be proud ofJessyWeasley has much to be proud ofJessyWeasley has much to be proud ofJessyWeasley has much to be proud ofJessyWeasley has much to be proud ofJessyWeasley has much to be proud ofJessyWeasley has much to be proud ofJessyWeasley has much to be proud ofJessyWeasley has much to be proud of
 JessyWeasley is offline Status: Offline

Cool guide
Closed Thread
Membear Info

ADVERTISEMENT