BI is not affiliated Build-a-Bearville or Build-a-Bear Workshop.

Go Back   Bearville Insider Forum > The Red Carpet! Your first stop! > General Discussion

Old 09-01-2018, 08:51 PM
CambriaSpeedRacer
Polar Bear
BABV Name: CambriaSpeedRacer on Worlize!

CambriaSpeedRacer is a name known to allCambriaSpeedRacer is a name known to allCambriaSpeedRacer is a name known to allCambriaSpeedRacer is a name known to allCambriaSpeedRacer is a name known to allCambriaSpeedRacer is a name known to all
 CambriaSpeedRacer is offline Status: Offline
Default The Discovery Layout, or: My Local Mall Randomly Got a Build-a-Bear

No notification in the mail or email or anything. We just went to the mall to get my brother a battery in his pocket watch and I randomly see a sign that says that Build-a-Bear is now open. And since my mom still had the Pay Your Age apology coupon, we stopped by. it's been open for a few months

The Discovery Layout, aka the new layout, is an... interesting experience.

When I walked in, the Choose Me station (1) was to the left. I'm used to it being on the right. So I looked at the bears, and after much consideration, chose the Sparkle Narwhal. At the end of the bears section, you go straight to clothes, so once you hit the end you have to turn right at go to the Hear Me station. The sounds are on a touchscreen device instead of that old "press a button to hear this sound" thing. I got nothing - not due to not liking any of the sounds, but because I never get sounds

Now would be a good time to mention that there weren't a lot of people working the store at this moment.

I had to wait a little bit, but a Bear Associate finally came over and led me to the Stuff Me station (2). The only thing that's changed is the stuffing machine. Which works the exact same way as the old one. So yeah, y'all know how that works. Heart ritual had its usual variations, blah blah blah. Then I hit the Dress Me station (3). There was a sale going on because Labor Day weekend, so I was able to find some pretty good deals.

Also, One Size Fits Most does not apply to narwhals. The woman who checked me out said it's been a while since they've had this happen.

Since I've got a narwhal, I just picked up a Honey Girls headband that was $1.20 (thank you Labor Day weekend) and moved on to the Name Me station (4). I... didn't like it as much? It's the same old white and blue, no yellows. It's really simple, and nowhere near as long as it used to be. But probably the most disappointing thing was the "scan the tag" thing is now a barcode scanner instead of the swipe. I liked the swipe. xD

After that was the Smile With Me station (5). Now, face it: this is the biggest change. And frankly, I'm not sure it's a good one. There were some props to take pictures with (read: pictures in BABW's new art style, same old white and blue, on a stick), which were kinda corny and one was even broken. Didn't stop me from giving my narwhal a crown prop.

And then came Take Me Home (6). The line was confusing (small store, I'll give it a pass) but I got through. Chatted a bit with the Bear Associate, who remembered the octopus and how awkward dressing it was and then she asked an interesting question: would I like a bag?

Not a box. A bag.

I did decline and only took a bag for my certificate, but that was interesting. Apparently they're not doing the Cub Condos anymore?

Side notes: Stuff Fur Stuff is the Bonus Club now, apparently. The stations are numbered (hence the numbers in my post). The Promise Pets Calico Cat does not have the creepy eyes. The Kabu Pawlette is kinda cute.

End tally: spent less than $10 there due to a coupon and a sale. It wasn't horrible. We'll probably be back (it's closer than our old closest XD).

Please welcome Beth to my Build-a-Bear family!
Old 09-02-2018, 08:48 PM
VanessaMay18
Trading Teddy
BABV Name: VanessaMay18 is alive again!

VanessaMay18 has much to be proud ofVanessaMay18 has much to be proud ofVanessaMay18 has much to be proud ofVanessaMay18 has much to be proud ofVanessaMay18 has much to be proud ofVanessaMay18 has much to be proud ofVanessaMay18 has much to be proud ofVanessaMay18 has much to be proud of
 VanessaMay18 is offline Status: Offline

1) Good choice, the narwhal is one of the only current bears I like

2) The Choose Me station being on the left would totally mess me up

3) My local store isn't discovery yet, but it switched to bags a couple of years ago
Old 09-06-2018, 08:12 PM
CarsonSweet
Polar Bear
BABV Name: CarsonSweet

CarsonSweet will become famous soon enough
 CarsonSweet is offline Status: Offline

They still sell boxes where I am, but that could be because they actually just switched from the old layout to the new one and I guess are kind of adjusting and stuff.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:22 AM
st2nic
Polar Bear
BABV Name: marcoquickbear

st2nic has a spectacular aura aboutst2nic has a spectacular aura about
 st2nic is offline Status: Offline

for national teddy bear day, no tickets available for local stores not in discovery format. signed up for discovery store on Sunday, which i probably would not go to, but ticket not received on Friday as set up. Free bear with $15 purchase just does not sit well with me, and being forced to go to discovery format not desired.

i did get $5 bear one year...for someone's birthday.
frozen deer was cheaper at disney store and gets more social media love from recipient.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:28 PM
st2nic
Polar Bear

family member's birthday weekend.
did not get ticket as promised for national teddy bear day.
THIS IS NOT YOUR TICKET
Your exclusive ticket is being certified and will be emailed to you on September 7!
is this going to be a system wide problem? again?
not going to discovery format store again...

Last edited by st2nic; 09-09-2018 at 05:34 PM..
Old 09-20-2018, 10:39 AM
st2nic
Polar Bear

welcome Beth
Membear Info

ADVERTISEMENT

Tags
algebra is awesome, build a bear, discovery layout, hug the disaster, not that bad