BI is not affiliated Build-a-Bearville or Build-a-Bear Workshop.

Go Back   Bearville Insider Forum > The Red Carpet! Your first stop! > Yikes! I need help!! > Guides & How-to's

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2011, 12:11 PM
MistyBear61
Polar Bear
BABV Name: Mist (Jez)

MistyBear61 has a brilliant futureMistyBear61 has a brilliant futureMistyBear61 has a brilliant futureMistyBear61 has a brilliant futureMistyBear61 has a brilliant futureMistyBear61 has a brilliant futureMistyBear61 has a brilliant futureMistyBear61 has a brilliant futureMistyBear61 has a brilliant futureMistyBear61 has a brilliant futureMistyBear61 has a brilliant future
 MistyBear61 is offline Status: Offline
Default | A guide about Graphics | - The simple stuff- Ready to read! :)

Hey guys,

I was thinking and there don't seem to be many guides about many of the simple parts of graphics so, ta-da, here's a guide xD It will focus on graphics but might have other useful stuff. More will be added as necessary

Part 1- Understanding Data

Bit- Each individual 1 or 0 is called a bit- short for binary digit.

Byte- 8 bits is called a byte.

Kilobyte- 1 kilobyte (1 KB or simple 1 K) is about a thousand bytes.

Megabyte- 1 megabyte (1 MB) is about a million bytes.

Gigabyte- 1 gigabyte (1 GB) is about a thousand million bytes.

This doesn't sound that important, but it does help you judge how big a file will be.

Bitmap and Vector Data

Painting software

This is used for editing bitmaps. Bitmaps are images made up of lots of various coloured pixels. To edit it, you change each pixel individually, but there are many tools to make this easier and quicker.

Drawing software

This is used for creating and editing vector graphics. Vector graphics are made up by separate lines and shapes and objects. You change the image by editing these lines and objects.

Vector graphics are stored differently to bitmaps- this gives them much smaller file sizes.

Last edited by MistyBear61; 09-17-2011 at 01:29 PM..
Old 09-17-2011, 12:12 PM
MistyBear61
Polar Bear

MistyBear61 has a brilliant futureMistyBear61 has a brilliant futureMistyBear61 has a brilliant futureMistyBear61 has a brilliant futureMistyBear61 has a brilliant futureMistyBear61 has a brilliant futureMistyBear61 has a brilliant futureMistyBear61 has a brilliant futureMistyBear61 has a brilliant futureMistyBear61 has a brilliant futureMistyBear61 has a brilliant future

Part 2- Changing images

Resizing

Resizing images is one of the most basic and sometimes important things to do. Usually, when you select part of an image, little handles come out that you can use to resize and rotate.

Click the image to open in full size.

These are the handles I mean, lol. Click for full size.

Cropping

The crop tool removes bits you don't want. It's a quick way to delete an area.

Click for full size.

Last edited by MistyBear61; 09-17-2011 at 01:06 PM..
MistyBear61
Polar Bear

Editing images 2
Coming soon

Last edited by MistyBear61; 09-17-2011 at 01:22 PM..
MistyBear61
Polar Bear

Part 4- Image editing software

Image editing software

- Paint.net
- Paint
- Photoshop
- Photoshop elements
- Corel Paintshop Pro
- GIMP
- Pixelmator
- Inkscape
- Adobe Illustrator
- Fireworks
- Picnik

What I'd recommend

- Paint

It's free and comes with most computers. It is probably one of the most simple programmes but is good for cropping, adding text and other simple finishes.

- Photoshop

It is prettttyyyyy expensive but if you're serious about graphics it is probably a must. It is easy to use when you get use to it and is a recognised software used by many professionals.

Last edited by MistyBear61; 09-17-2011 at 01:21 PM..
Old 09-17-2011, 12:13 PM
MistyBear61
Polar Bear

Got a question? - Ask me here!

View Post Originally Posted by MistyBubbles52
I has got a question! : )
Ok, so I have PS Elements 9, and I just installed it today. Is there anything I should know, like tips or tricks or something? xD
I think it's a lot like GIMP.
I think the best thing to do would be to experiment with it, maybe Google some tutorials or see if there are any in the Guides section on this forum. I think in some ways, yes, it is similar to GIMP but it is more the professional-looking big fancy stuff. GIMP is a bit easier to use and has more tools, but it really depends on what you want the programme for

And I have another question xD
How do you make an outline around text in PS?
I tried edit > stroke
And it didn't work.
Hmm, make sure you're clicking on the right layer or it won't show up. Click on Layer > Layer Style > Stroke and then you can edit the stroke and whatever

View Post Originally Posted by Mellie
How do I make cropped pictures, like only the picture in it?..
I have Paint
Well if you have Windows 7 paint you can click on the icon at the top. Just select the area you want to crop and press the button. It looks like this;

If you have another version of Paint, what I do is select the area you want, press Ctrl C (or right click and press copy) open a new paint document, press Ctrl V (or right click and press paste).

Last edited by MistyBear61; 10-26-2011 at 03:47 AM..
Old 09-17-2011, 04:44 PM
MistyBubbles52
Trading Teddy
BABV Name: (◠‿◠)

MistyBubbles52 has a brilliant futureMistyBubbles52 has a brilliant futureMistyBubbles52 has a brilliant futureMistyBubbles52 has a brilliant futureMistyBubbles52 has a brilliant futureMistyBubbles52 has a brilliant futureMistyBubbles52 has a brilliant futureMistyBubbles52 has a brilliant futureMistyBubbles52 has a brilliant futureMistyBubbles52 has a brilliant futureMistyBubbles52 has a brilliant future
 MistyBubbles52 is offline Status: Offline

I has got a question! : )
Ok, so I have PS Elements 9, and I just installed it today. Is there anything I should know, like tips or tricks or something? xD
I think it's a lot like GIMP.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:36 AM
MistyBear61
Polar Bear

Okay I tried to answer it the best I could, Misty
Old 09-22-2011, 05:33 PM
MistyBubbles52
Trading Teddy
BABV Name: (◠‿◠)

MistyBubbles52 has a brilliant futureMistyBubbles52 has a brilliant futureMistyBubbles52 has a brilliant futureMistyBubbles52 has a brilliant futureMistyBubbles52 has a brilliant futureMistyBubbles52 has a brilliant futureMistyBubbles52 has a brilliant futureMistyBubbles52 has a brilliant futureMistyBubbles52 has a brilliant futureMistyBubbles52 has a brilliant futureMistyBubbles52 has a brilliant future
 MistyBubbles52 is offline Status: Offline

I tried edit > stroke
And it didn't work.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:47 PM
MistyBear61
Polar Bear

I tried edit > stroke
And it didn't work.
Whoops sorry for the late reply, I answered it
Old 10-05-2011, 07:02 AM
MeghanMusicLuvr28
Sage Bear

MeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond repute
 MeghanMusicLuvr28 is offline Status: Offline

Thanks for posting.
Closed Thread
Membear Info

ADVERTISEMENT

Tags
i twas here