BI is not affiliated Build-a-Bearville or Build-a-Bear Workshop.

Closed Thread
Old 06-15-2013, 12:35 AM
iLuvKats
Polar Bear
BABV Name: KatieBearPaw8

iLuvKats will become famous soon enough
 iLuvKats is offline Status: Offline
Default Answered: How can I animate on photoshop?

I just want to add like some hearts, but I can't figure it out. Usually when i animate things i just make the graphic on photoshop and do my animation on GIMP, but GIMP makes the quality worse and so I'm wondering if there's a way to do it on photoshop? All advice is appreciated, thanks!
Best Answer - Posted by NeonSmiley : )
I found this guide on WikiHow, it is for Photoshop CS3 Extended and Photoshop CS6 and also earlier extended versions of Photoshop. I am presuming you already know the technical language of graphic-making.

Open Photoshop. To create an animation with Photoshop, you'll need to have a least Photoshop CS3 Extended. Versions of Photoshop starting with CS6 includes animation in every single version.

Open a video. From the File menu, choose Import > Video Frames to Layers...

Select a movie file. Be aware and cautious that Photoshop will only import a max of 500 frames. If you are using a movie file bigger than this limit, you will need to trim it (but, if you need to trim it I'll see if I can find a guide for that, unless you already know how to.)

Adjust the import settings. In the 'Import Video to Layers' window, make any adjustments necessary.

''From Beginning To End'' is the most straightforward. Photoshop will try to import every frame of the movie or video. If there are more than 500 frames, the movie will be shortened.

''Selected Range Only'' lets you choose the in and out points using the controls at the bottom. Use the scrolling thumb to quickly access and look at the movie. Then, drag the bookends below that to set the range of frames to import.

''Limit to Every Frames'' will cut your frames by at least a half. Yes, this is an easy and quick option but as a result will give you a choppier and less soft animation.

''Make Frame Animation' enables both the conversion of the movie into layers, and then turns the layers into a animation. Deselecting this mini option will still import the movie into layers, but then does not create an animation. For this, I would recommend you select this option.

When you are ready, and all set up - Click OK to import your movie. It will take a few seconds, then you will automatically see all of the individual frames in the Layer menu, and each individual frame spread out the timeline.

Apply the adjustments. You can use Photoshop's adjustment layers to add any effects you wish, colour correction, brightness & contrast, and even more! Adjustment layers are, by default, applied to all layers below them.

You can apply a wide variety of pre-build-in adjustments! You can also add a new layer using an overlay to change the character of the video, or a brand-new base layer to add a background.

For instance, you could have a very short clip of someone just standing there looking around. On the lowest layer, you might add a picture of a city, or the country to place the character in a particular place. You could then add an adjustment layer on top of everything, to give the clip a sepia tone. You could even recreate the look of an animated newspaper like in the Harry Potter movies.

Edit individual layers! Click on a frame in the Timeline window, and find the matching layer. By default, the frame number is the same as the layer's name - which is quite convenient! For example, frame 18 can be found on layer 18.

You can then modify any individual layer, either to add effects, clean up glitches or whatever strikes your fancy. If you do this over several frames, you can even animate your effects to create a beautiful graphic! For example, if you add a lens flare to one frame, in the next frame you could type Control-Alt-F (Command-Option-F on Mac) to bring up the same filter. Reduce the effect by 10%, then move to the next frame and repeat the process. Continue until you've reduced the effect to 0% and then it will look as though the lens flare is animated!

Save your animated GIF. From the File menu, select Save or Web. This will let you set the size and output options for the GIF, as needed to fit your requirements.

I would also save every 5 minutes in-case it crashes. Good luck!
Old 06-15-2013, 01:17 AM
MeghanMusicLuvr28
Sage Bear

MeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond reputeMeghanMusicLuvr28 has a reputation beyond repute
 MeghanMusicLuvr28 is offline Status: Offline

Which version of Photoshop are you using? The methods usually vary a bit between each version.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:20 AM
iLuvKats
Polar Bear

I use CS6 (:
Old 06-17-2013, 02:38 PM
NeonSmiley : )
Polar Bear
BABV Name: Used to be ValarieAdventure37

NeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond repute
 NeonSmiley : ) is offline Status: Offline

I found this guide on WikiHow, it is for Photoshop CS3 Extended and Photoshop CS6 and also earlier extended versions of Photoshop. I am presuming you already know the technical language of graphic-making.

Open Photoshop. To create an animation with Photoshop, you'll need to have a least Photoshop CS3 Extended. Versions of Photoshop starting with CS6 includes animation in every single version.

Open a video. From the File menu, choose Import > Video Frames to Layers...

Select a movie file. Be aware and cautious that Photoshop will only import a max of 500 frames. If you are using a movie file bigger than this limit, you will need to trim it (but, if you need to trim it I'll see if I can find a guide for that, unless you already know how to.)

Adjust the import settings. In the 'Import Video to Layers' window, make any adjustments necessary.

''From Beginning To End'' is the most straightforward. Photoshop will try to import every frame of the movie or video. If there are more than 500 frames, the movie will be shortened.

''Selected Range Only'' lets you choose the in and out points using the controls at the bottom. Use the scrolling thumb to quickly access and look at the movie. Then, drag the bookends below that to set the range of frames to import.

''Limit to Every Frames'' will cut your frames by at least a half. Yes, this is an easy and quick option but as a result will give you a choppier and less soft animation.

''Make Frame Animation' enables both the conversion of the movie into layers, and then turns the layers into a animation. Deselecting this mini option will still import the movie into layers, but then does not create an animation. For this, I would recommend you select this option.

When you are ready, and all set up - Click OK to import your movie. It will take a few seconds, then you will automatically see all of the individual frames in the Layer menu, and each individual frame spread out the timeline.

Apply the adjustments. You can use Photoshop's adjustment layers to add any effects you wish, colour correction, brightness & contrast, and even more! Adjustment layers are, by default, applied to all layers below them.

You can apply a wide variety of pre-build-in adjustments! You can also add a new layer using an overlay to change the character of the video, or a brand-new base layer to add a background.

For instance, you could have a very short clip of someone just standing there looking around. On the lowest layer, you might add a picture of a city, or the country to place the character in a particular place. You could then add an adjustment layer on top of everything, to give the clip a sepia tone. You could even recreate the look of an animated newspaper like in the Harry Potter movies.

Edit individual layers! Click on a frame in the Timeline window, and find the matching layer. By default, the frame number is the same as the layer's name - which is quite convenient! For example, frame 18 can be found on layer 18.

You can then modify any individual layer, either to add effects, clean up glitches or whatever strikes your fancy. If you do this over several frames, you can even animate your effects to create a beautiful graphic! For example, if you add a lens flare to one frame, in the next frame you could type Control-Alt-F (Command-Option-F on Mac) to bring up the same filter. Reduce the effect by 10%, then move to the next frame and repeat the process. Continue until you've reduced the effect to 0% and then it will look as though the lens flare is animated!

Save your animated GIF. From the File menu, select Save or Web. This will let you set the size and output options for the GIF, as needed to fit your requirements.

I would also save every 5 minutes in-case it crashes. Good luck!
Old 06-17-2013, 05:07 PM
iLuvKats
Polar Bear

Thank you SO much Neonsmiley!
Closed Thread
Membear Info

ADVERTISEMENT