BI is not affiliated Build-a-Bearville or Build-a-Bear Workshop.

Closed Thread
Old 10-31-2015, 01:40 PM
emilyadorable711
Polar Bear

emilyadorable711 is on a distinguished road
 emilyadorable711 is offline Status: Offline
Question Build-A-Bear's OLD vs NEW?!

So I found myself cleaning my toy bin the other day and when I came across my Build-A-Bear's, I was very surprised. Now the Build-A-Bear's that I have from over the years are of course old... and that's when I wanted to write this post. Comparing the old Build-A-Bear's to the new Build-A-Bear's. Now I'm sure we all know that there is definitely a major difference between the old and new ones. Here are some examples:

Click the image to open in full size.

I'm not sure if those images loaded right but I'll explain my opinion on this. There is a huge difference between the old bears and the new ones. The older bears are very plain, original, and do not have an overload of glitter on their fur. The newer bears are very chintzy (cheaper looking) and are based off collections or movies/shows, covered in glitter, or all look identical to each other (the only difference is the patterns) When you walk by a Build-A-Bear store in your local area make sure to take a quick glance in the store. Just by walking by and seeing the bears on the shelfs, you'll be able to see they are all glittery and have completely downgraded. They are overly sparkly and colorful making them basically all look the same.

So what are your thoughts on the old bears vs the new ones?
Old 10-31-2015, 02:22 PM
TygerStar
Polar Bear
BABV Name: KittyAngel1852

TygerStar will become famous soon enough
 TygerStar is offline Status: Offline

I'm very sorry but your images wouldn't open. I couldn't view them.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:20 PM
cassidy5
Polar Bear
BABV Name: LizzyOBeary24

cassidy5 will become famous soon enough
 cassidy5 is offline Status: Offline

I couldn't either, but that makes no difference. Here are my thoughts:
Build a bear has stopped making good quality, cuddly and unique bears. It used to be known as one of the best stuffed animal companies. Now I certainly don't think it is. All it makes is movie characters or strange looking creatures like the Honey girls and Lalaloopsy dolls.
I am not at all attracted to these cheaply made products.
The older ones were really nice, and I'm trying to get some unstuffed ones off Ebay before they disappear altogether.
Why is babw doing this?
Old 11-01-2015, 01:41 PM
TygerStar
Polar Bear
BABV Name: KittyAngel1852

TygerStar will become famous soon enough
 TygerStar is offline Status: Offline

Maybe because Maxine isn't in charge any more and the person who is is only interested in money.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:15 PM
cassidy5
Polar Bear
BABV Name: LizzyOBeary24

cassidy5 will become famous soon enough
 cassidy5 is offline Status: Offline

View Post Originally Posted by TygerStar
Maybe because Maxine isn't in charge any more and the person who is is only interested in money.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:18 AM
Memory
Polar Bear
BABV Name: LilySapphire72

Memory is a splendid one to beholdMemory is a splendid one to beholdMemory is a splendid one to beholdMemory is a splendid one to beholdMemory is a splendid one to beholdMemory is a splendid one to beholdMemory is a splendid one to beholdMemory is a splendid one to behold
 Memory is offline Status: Offline

The old bears were simple, classic, and high quality.
Now they're usually tacky, low quality advertisements. There's rarely any new bears not related to a movie like with Minions. There's no creativity. They add too many clunky details like sometimes hair on a bear.. why! I like simple soft huggable stuffed animals like my bunny long ears or wolf.
The only bears I still like are the zoo bears. I'm not sure how many there are now since I haven't checked in a while. Well I admit sometimes there are bears I like, maybe just not as many.

Last edited by Memory; 11-04-2015 at 03:19 AM..
Old 11-06-2015, 12:42 PM
NeonSmiley : )
Polar Bear
BABV Name: Used to be ValarieAdventure37

NeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond reputeNeonSmiley : ) has a reputation beyond repute
 NeonSmiley : ) is offline Status: Offline

Hi there! This is a subject that I am very passionate about. Over the last few months, and to be honest, it started a year or two ago, Build A Bear has started to branch out to produce branded bears. These can include Star Wars, Minions, Peppa Pig and more. I think the whole thing started when they began to release My Little Pony bears.

Anyway, I understand that they have always had branded bears, but maybe one or two every few months was released. And even then, these bears were original and not blatant copies. For example, there is no effort on BAB's part when they release a minion bear, or an Olaf bear. It's purely to make the money - cha-ching - and nothing else!

Recently, when I walked past build a bear, I noticed that at least 70% of the bears on offer were branded. And the ones that weren't were awful, I'm sorry to say. They were either remakes of old ones (like the brown sugar puppy) or sloppily manufactured. I used to love glass or marble eyes in the bears they made, but it seems now that they are cheaply sewn on. The bears on offer on the UK website are garishly made, with cheap, bright colours and dreadful patterns. All in all, I believe the balms should be placed on Sharon, the new manager. Maxine made sure all bears had a meaning and did not regard money as a main concern. Her goal was to make children and adults happy! I'm not saying Sharon owns the same perspective, but I feel like her main motivation is money.

And by the way, thank you for creating this thread. It's a great discussion.

Last edited by NeonSmiley : ); 11-06-2015 at 12:45 PM..
Old 11-07-2015, 05:38 PM
Memory
Polar Bear
BABV Name: LilySapphire72

Memory is a splendid one to beholdMemory is a splendid one to beholdMemory is a splendid one to beholdMemory is a splendid one to beholdMemory is a splendid one to beholdMemory is a splendid one to beholdMemory is a splendid one to beholdMemory is a splendid one to behold
 Memory is offline Status: Offline

A new Build a Bear appeared at the mall yesterday and my sister and I walked by and I said "is that like a counterfeit build a bear? it looks weird."
We went in and the bears were almost all that cheap type of fur that are on stuffed animals in skill crane machines but the prices were still the same. Most of them were advertisement bears for shows or movies.

And apparently it was a new store design. Basically blue and white are their new colors instead of orange and blue. It seemed more like cold sterile hospital theme than warm happy bear workshop theme.
Kinda looked like this:

I found this article about how Sharon Price is focusing on making it more like a tourist thing and making more movie type bears because they sell more and can make them more expensive: http://www.cnbc.com/2015/06/04/build...e-anymore.html
Wow did anyone see the $80 Rapunzel bear they are trying to sell? What a ripoff! http://www.buildabear.com/shopping/s...d=prod11680000

Last edited by Memory; 11-07-2015 at 05:51 PM..
Old 11-07-2015, 08:29 PM
VanessaMay18
Trading Teddy
BABV Name: VanessaMay18 is alive again!

VanessaMay18 has much to be proud ofVanessaMay18 has much to be proud ofVanessaMay18 has much to be proud ofVanessaMay18 has much to be proud ofVanessaMay18 has much to be proud ofVanessaMay18 has much to be proud ofVanessaMay18 has much to be proud ofVanessaMay18 has much to be proud of
 VanessaMay18 is offline Status: Offline

View Post Originally Posted by Memory
A new Build a Bear appeared at the mall yesterday and my sister and I walked by and I said "is that like a counterfeit build a bear? it looks weird."
We went in and the bears were almost all that cheap type of fur that are on stuffed animals in skill crane machines but the prices were still the same. Most of them were advertisement bears for shows or movies.

And apparently it was a new store design. Basically blue and white are their new colors instead of orange and blue. It seemed more like cold sterile hospital theme than warm happy bear workshop theme.
Kinda looked like this:

I found this article about how Sharon Price is focusing on making it more like a tourist thing and making more movie type bears because they sell more and can make them more expensive: http://www.cnbc.com/2015/06/04/build...e-anymore.html
Wow did anyone see the $80 Rapunzel bear they are trying to sell? What a ripoff! http://www.buildabear.com/shopping/s...d=prod11680000
Wow, that looks awful. >.< The one near me still looks the way it always has...I hope they don't change it. You're right, it looks like a hospital. Ugh. CURSE YOU SHARON THE BUILD-A-BEAR CEO!
Old 11-11-2015, 01:35 PM
JovelynFunCub
Polar Bear
BABV Name: JocelynFunCub11

JovelynFunCub is on a distinguished road
 JovelynFunCub is offline Status: Offline

Kinda looked like this:
[/QUOTE]

Oh my gosh. Ewwwwwww. BAB is NOT welcoming anymore. UGH, you new CEO.
Closed Thread
Membear Info

ADVERTISEMENT