BI is not affiliated Build-a-Bearville or Build-a-Bear Workshop.

Go Back   Bearville Insider Forum > The Red Carpet! Your first stop! > Yikes! I need help!! > Guides & How-to's

Closed Thread
Old 12-29-2010, 08:03 PM
BriniGirl
Sage Bear

BriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond repute
 BriniGirl is offline Status: Offline
Default Layers :: A Guide for the Curious (a 50-in-1 guide with pictures! yay!)

Click the image to open in full size.

Contents:
Post One: An Introduction, Commands, Basics
Post Two: Layer Styles
Post Three: The Layer Tab
Post Four: Adjustments
Post Five: Coming Soon!

If you own Photoshop or GIMP, you've no doubt heard of layers. If you haven't...you will now. Layers is, well, exactly that. Layers. **please note that even though I mention GIMP, this guide is not for gimp, it's for photoshop. I just mean that gimp has layers like photoshop**

Imagine putting on a cami. Then a t-shirt. Then a jacket. Then a coat. You are now LAYERED in clothing. You could remove the second layer (t-shirt) and not effect the other layers at all. Well, you would by clothing weight, but you get the idea.

Layers are like the ultimate 'undo' button. Graphic programs only retain so much of your undos. If you turn an image to black and white, do one hundred things to that image, and decide you want it color again, you basically have to start over because you have to undo so much, or the undo doesn't go back that far.

This guide will be done totally using Photoshop Elements 9. Sorry GIMP users, I have no idea if this is the same for you guys, but ANY photoshop works the exact or very similar to this. (I know because I have PS .0 versions, Elements, and CS)

NOTE: for any of this stuff, you're going to need the layers tab...so go window>>layers.

I'll refer to several commands in this guide. You should probably make note of these, even if you aren't going to use the rest of this guide, these are very helpful to speed up the graphic-making process. (these are different for mac users)

New Layer - Ctrl + Shift + N

Duplicate Layer - Ctrl + J

Merge Layer Down - Ctrl + E

Merge Visible (aka all layers unless hidden) - Ctrl + Shift + E

These next few aren't really commands, but you need to know how to get to these for future reference.

Adding an adjustment layer (this tool ONLY works for PS 7.0, Elements 9, and CS programs, sorry!) - Click Layers tab at top of screen. Click new adjustment layer, and select the option I mention.

Adding a New Layer
1. Open an image.
2. Ctrl + Shift + N

Duplicating a Layer
1. Open an image.
2. Ctrl + J
3. Now you have two layers of the same image. This helps if your doing something like a color splash.

Merge Layer
1. Open an image.
2. Have at least three layers.
3. Click the layer you want merged to the layer below it.
4. Ctrl + E
5. This is used when your wanting a certain stack of layers so they can all be moved around. (similar to linking layers in CS and 7.0)

Merge Visible
1. Open an image.
2. Have at least three layers.
3. Ctrl + Shift + E
4. This merges ALL layers unless hidden.

Last edited by BriniGirl; 12-29-2010 at 09:47 PM..
Old 12-29-2010, 08:04 PM
BriniGirl
Sage Bear

BriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Layer styles are things like drop shadows, glows, outlines, and bevels. This is known as blending options in CS and 7.0. There are overlays and other stuff in blending options. If you want info on those, post saying you do, and I'll open the programs and do a mini guide on those, but for now, just elements.

This is the picture for step one of all of the layer styles. . . the way to find layer styles. (pay no attention to the background)

Drop Shadows
1. Click the layers tab at the top of the screen>layer style>layer styles.
2. The layer styles box comes up.
3. Check mark drop shadow, and scrollie bars will come up.
4. Mess around with them.
-size is the area the drop shadow effects
-distance is how far away the shadow lands
-opacity is the visibility, lower=harder to see, higher=easier to see
5. Product--with default settings:

Glows
3. Check mark glows, and scrollie bars will come up.
4. You have the choice of inner and outer glows, check which you prefer.
5. Mess around with them.
-size is how far the glow spreads
-opacity is the visibility
-color is...the color
6. Product--with outer, size 29, color black, opacity 100:

Bevels
3. Check mark bevel, and scrollie bars will come up.
4. Mess around with the scrollie bar.
-size is the depth
-the up/down check boxes relate to whether its beveled up, or beveled down. ; )
5. Product--default settings:

Outlines
3. Check mark stroke, and scrollie bars will come up.
4. Mess around with them.
-size is the width of the outline (or stroke)
-opacity is the visibility
-color is...the color
5. Product, stoke 4, color grey, opacity 100:

Last edited by BriniGirl; 12-29-2010 at 08:56 PM..
BriniGirl
Sage Bear

To view the tab, if it's not already there, click windows at the top of the screen, and click layers. This box will pop up. Here is just a mini chart of everything available... In this section I've provided details on the important ones...if you want help on the others, post, and I'll add.

[[This chart is color coded. The color circle corresponds to the same color text]]

Hiding a Layer
1. Open an image.
2. Have at least two layers.
3. Click the eye to the left of the layer you want to hide.
4. Its now hidden! Oh no!
5. Click the box where the eye was, and it will come back, along w/ your layer.
6. This helps when you are trying to decide if an image looks better w/ or without a layer.

Deleting a Layer
1. Open an image.
2. Have at least two layers.
3. Right click the layer you want to delete.
4. Click delete.

Layer Opacity
1. Open an image.
2. Have something on the layer you want to change the opacity of.
-Opacity is a fancy word for visibility-
3. Next to the opacity in the layers tab, is a box that should read 100% unless your default is something else. Whatever it is, it's a percent.
4. Click the percent and move the little ball right and left to raise and lower the opacity.
5. OR click and highlight the 100% and manually insert any value from 1-100 and press 'enter/return' on your keyboard.

Blending Modes
1. Open an image.
2. Have at least two layers. One an image (preferably) and the layer on top some sort of brushed out color or colored gradient (preferably.)
3. Click the top layer, which should be the brush/gradient colored layer.
4. In the layers box tab, there is a drop down menu to the left of opacity. It should say 'normal' unless your default is different.
5. Click that normal, and a drop down menu will appear.
6. The drop down menu appears to be divided into 6 sections. (listed below)

From what I can tell, the list is divided by basic, darken, lighten, light settings, dark settings, color settings.

I'm self taught, so this is my interpretation. If you know for sure how they're divided, let me know.

7. I'm still experimenting with what each do, so you can as well. Just find one you like.

Last edited by BriniGirl; 12-29-2010 at 09:25 PM..
BriniGirl
Sage Bear

These are the layers that are especially ultimate 'undo' buttons. They are available in CS versions, .0 versions, and elements 9. Elements 8 and down doesn't have them, sorry.

Brightness/Contrast

1. Open an image.

2. Add a brightness/contrast ADJUSTMENT layer. I said how to in the commands tab above. This box comes up. Name it if you want, otherwise, press okay.

3. Use the scrollie bars outlined in blue to change contrasts until you like it.

4. Product:

The convienence, is that you can continue editing your image, adding text, and effects, and such, but in the end, if you want to change those scrollie bars, or remove that adjustment layer all together, you can double click it to change them...or right click>delete layer.

Hue/Saturation:

1. Open an image. I'm just using the product from above.

2. Add a hue/saturation ADJUSTMENT LAYER. If you don't know how, read commands tab above.

3. Name the box that comes up, or just click okay.

4. Mess around with the scrollie bars that come up. These are a bit different from the brightness/contrast. Just move them around, you'll figure out pretty fast what they do.

5. Product *

Convenience is the same as above.
*In this product, I lowered the saturation. (-84)

What if I only want some of my image to be brightness/contrast effected or hue/saturated?

There is a VERY easy way to fix that. Click the adjustment layer, and click the brush tool. Then, go over the area you DON'T want affected.

Or, you can use the cookie cutter tool in the toolbox. It looks like a star. (only available in elements and CS) You can choose the shape at the top of the screen. Then, click over the area you WANT AFFECTED, and it will make it so it's only on that area.

Gradient 1

This layer effect is a bit more complicated. It involves a bit more work.

1. Open an image. I'm again using the product from above.

2. Add a gradient map ADJUSTMENT LAYER. If you don't know how, read how in the commands tab.

3. Name the adjustment, or press okay.

4. Click the gradient bar that comes up in the adjustment tab to the right.

5. Pick your gradient colors and such.

6. Product. Most of this section comes out really wierd. So I just chose a basic blue to white gradient, and got this.

Convienience, color undo button. xD

Photo Filter
(not the program! xD)

1. Open an image. (I'm using the product from Hue/Saturation)

2. Add a photo filter ADJUSTMENT LAYER. If you don't know how, see the tab at the top.

3. Name the layer, or just hit okay.

4. Click around the adjustment bar on the right. Each of the drop down choices are different colors. There is also a sepia option, which I like. <3 If you don't like those colors, you can basically click the 'color' option, and choose ANY color.
-density determines the darkness of the color
-preserve luminosity: if its checked, you'll have highlights. if not, it will be dull. I used preserve.

5. Product. This adjustment layer is basically a coloring option. You can do this without this tool, but this is lots easier.

Last edited by BriniGirl; 12-29-2010 at 09:45 PM..
Old 12-29-2010, 08:05 PM
BriniGirl
Sage Bear

**reserved**

You can post now.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:06 PM
Snewdles
Trading Teddy

Snewdles has a reputation beyond reputeSnewdles has a reputation beyond reputeSnewdles has a reputation beyond reputeSnewdles has a reputation beyond reputeSnewdles has a reputation beyond reputeSnewdles has a reputation beyond reputeSnewdles has a reputation beyond reputeSnewdles has a reputation beyond reputeSnewdles has a reputation beyond reputeSnewdles has a reputation beyond reputeSnewdles has a reputation beyond repute
 Snewdles is offline Status: Offline

This looks like an amazing guide. Rep
It wont let me sorry.

But great work[;
Old 12-29-2010, 08:06 PM
BriniGirl
Sage Bear

Thanks!! I've been spending the past 3 hours on it. xD
Old 12-29-2010, 08:11 PM
AbbygailBearDiva59
Trading Teddy

AbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond reputeAbbygailBearDiva59 has a reputation beyond repute
 AbbygailBearDiva59 is offline Status: Offline

Thanks! Rep!
Finally, something to do on Elements. xD
EDIT: I need to spread it around
Old 12-29-2010, 08:15 PM
BriniGirl
Sage Bear

Lol, yeah.

and thanks for the thought. xD

Last edited by BriniGirl; 12-29-2010 at 08:17 PM..
Old 12-29-2010, 08:18 PM
ZoeApril1377
Trading Teddy

ZoeApril1377 has a brilliant futureZoeApril1377 has a brilliant futureZoeApril1377 has a brilliant futureZoeApril1377 has a brilliant futureZoeApril1377 has a brilliant futureZoeApril1377 has a brilliant futureZoeApril1377 has a brilliant futureZoeApril1377 has a brilliant futureZoeApril1377 has a brilliant futureZoeApril1377 has a brilliant futureZoeApril1377 has a brilliant future
 ZoeApril1377 is offline Status: Offline

Rep!
One question.
What's Ctrl + Shift + N and Ctrl + E on Mac? I'm pretty sure that they'd be different.
Closed Thread
Membear Info

ADVERTISEMENT

Tags
<br!n!g!rl>, abbygail<3, amazing.job, blueberries_are_da_bomb, brini is watching you. :0, legit♥, photoshop cs!, photoshop layers, photoshop4ever, santawasn'there!, zoelina >u<