BI is not affiliated Build-a-Bearville or Build-a-Bear Workshop.

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2009, 03:20 PM
firagirl
Polar Bear
BABV Name: Lauren2Hip1277

firagirl is on a distinguished road
 firagirl is offline Status: Offline
Smile Role-Playing tips!

These are some tips I’ve picked up along the way of RPing. I didn’t know if I should put it here or not, so the mods can move it if they want.
1. Mood Music! Listening to music for role play or any creative activity usually helps me get into the mood. If there is a particular 'genre' that seems to suit the character I am writing for, I play that.
2. Review and break-up other posts. Read through other people's posts, and don't just respond to the last sentence or two. Break it up into each individual action or spoken sentence, and slot in your character's response to each thing. You may discard some of these responses once you are ready to actually post, but this at least helps you to remember not to overlook anyone. If your character is actually ignoring or disinterested in what another character is doing, then make mention of it so that the player doesn’t feel overlooked.
3. Interact! I can not stress this enough! Don't have a character written in that just does its own thing entirely. You may have an anti-social character (I play them all of the time) but that doesn't mean you have to go off and do your own thing constantly. By doing this, it makes people feel as though you only care about your own character, or are trying to force other characters to follow to keep the scene rolling. By no means am I saying your character can't wander off, just do so sparingly and sensibly. Is a character offended by current company and leaves to cool off? Or are you, as the player, just disinterested in the scene and want to make your character for off and do something much cooler? Think about it.
4. Don't be afraid to 'float'. What I mean by this, is if your character is doing something time consuming, and rather constant (maybe casting a really large spell, or chopping wood) don't hesitate, in a turb based RP, to skip your turn, just telling people that your character will be doing one action repeatedly until he/she is done, or until your character has something new and relevant to say or do.
5. Inner thoughs and outward dialogue. If you are going to relay the thoughts of your character, be sure to make it clear that they are only thoughts, so that other player's don't have their characters respond to things that they shouldn't actually have heard or known. As the reader, make sure you read carefully to distinguish thoughts from spoken word. This can cause some unecessary misunderstandings.
6. OOC knowledge versus IC knowledge. This one is a given. If a player relays information about their character, their thoughts, or a scene that is happening elsewhere for the amusement, sake, or informing of the PLAYERS, do not use it IN CHARACTER. What the player knows and what the character knows are entirely different. If your character was not there to experience or hear something, do not play your characters as if they were; and don't just 'know things' as part of some intuition to cover up your mistake. Of course, if your character is psychic, then this rule can be bended.
7. Getting stumped... When you get stumped, and really don't know what your character actually would do in response to something, and it is taking you forever to respond, don't be afraid to admit it OOCly. Other players will most likely understand and not bug your or skip your character because of your lack of response. To help better imagine your character's response, refer back to some old posts of that character to try and get back into their mindset, and rely on their strongest attitude or personality quirk to pull you through. It may be shaky, and you may think later it wasn't the most in-character, but at least you tried.
8. Repeat dialogue out loud. When writing what a character is saying, actually say it out loud (unless you are in a public place - even then it'd be funny, yes?) with the tone you imagine. Say it a few different ways. Then when you have the phrasing and tone set in your mind, use commas, all-caps, exclamation marks, or even bolds or itallics to stress or emphasize parts of speech that you emphasized when you said it. Also, don't always end or beging it with "so-and-so said...". Try words like exclaimed, muttered, questioned, peeped, intoned, shrieked, chattered, inquired, yelled, cried, called, mocked, grumbled, remarked, responded, retorted, snapped, cooed etc.
9. Ask questions. If someone's post really didn't make sense, or it says one thing, but you wonder if they didn't mean another, go ahead and clarify. Simply and politely ask your question following the word OOC: or put it in brackets, or do both! Also, if someone asks you for clarification, don't feel that they are nitpicking. Answer their question the best you can, and let the scene roll on.
10. Continuity! Reread old posts. Try to remember where every character actually is in relation to your character, what they have been doing, and heck, what they've worn, if they've interacted with an NPC (non player character) recently, and so fourth. Most importantly, though, keep track of what you have written about your character. Don't say your character was running towards the lake, then next post suddenly have them talking to another character who is on the hill... in the opposite direction. Don't suddenly have items or powers or clothes that weren't there before. Don't have your character heaving and gasping from an arduous fight... only to have them start singing and playing the next moment. Lastly; everyone makes mistakes, so make some allowance room for those who do make continuity errors, but don't be afraid to POLITELY point them out, or ask about them. A lack of continuity, sometimes rarely, is part of someone's plot.

Feel free to add your own tips and i'll add them to the top page!
Old 02-06-2009, 07:29 PM
snowflake200612
Trading Teddy
BABV Name: ValentinaChocolate17 Here:Snow

snowflake200612 is on a distinguished road
 snowflake200612 is offline Status: Offline

Thank you for posting this...People really need to read this...Even me!
Old 02-06-2009, 08:19 PM
firagirl
Polar Bear

Your welcome!
Old 02-06-2009, 08:29 PM
snowflake200612
Trading Teddy

I like to do my posts into paragraphs.....And I love to imagine the situation...
Old 02-06-2009, 11:27 PM
Kuseria
Polar Bear
BABV Name: ranaartistbear3

Kuseria is on a distinguished road
 Kuseria is offline Status: Offline

Thank you for the help!

Last edited by Kuseria; 02-07-2009 at 10:05 PM..
Old 02-07-2009, 01:15 AM
larkrose
Trading Teddy

larkrose is on a distinguished road
 larkrose is offline Status: Offline

I decided to stick this so it wouldn't get lost.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:58 PM
snowflake200612
Trading Teddy

Yeah!!! Congrats!!!
Old 02-09-2009, 10:32 AM
firagirl
Polar Bear

Thank you larkrose!
Old 02-14-2009, 11:04 AM
TheHappy
Trading Teddy
BABV Name: AbigailHappy5

TheHappy is a splendid one to beholdTheHappy is a splendid one to beholdTheHappy is a splendid one to beholdTheHappy is a splendid one to beholdTheHappy is a splendid one to beholdTheHappy is a splendid one to beholdTheHappy is a splendid one to behold
 TheHappy is offline Status: Offline

Thanks so much, this helped a lot!
Old 02-20-2009, 10:39 AM
firagirl
Polar Bear

More tips!
11. Differentiate between IC and OOC. In other words, someone's character may hate your character and be all kinds of mean. Do not, for the love of all that's good, take it personally and feel like the player has something against you, and certainly don't carry hostility ooc. Remember, the other person is playing their character as best s/he can, and that means reacting to your character instead of you. Most of my most hostile play has been with my dear boyfriend...and can be fun, in its own way, because it adds realism! Some of our characters just don't get along even though we adore one another.

12. Respect freeform combat rules. Okay. This is really, really important. There are two basic kinds of rp: stat-based, and freeform. We aren't rolling dice to decide the consequences of our action, thus, this is freeform. So, how do you decide who wins a given turn? Honor system. Simple as that. Each player can call only their own characters' skill levels and responses.

Freeform combat works as such:
You say what you're trying to accomplish. Be specific, and be clear about your character's skill level. Do not, under any circumstances (unless, of course, you're running the game (are the GM),) actually succeed in doing anything to another character. Remember, you do not know everything about that other person, and they may have an ace to play.

Wrong A: Billybob lashes out with his sword and slices deep into Sarah's arm, laughing at the blood spatter.
Wrong B: Billybob starts to lunge with his sword, but sneakily leaps upward at the last moment, bringing his knee into Sarah's chin and stunning her so that he can grab her arms.
Wrong C: Billybob sneaks several coins from Sarah's pouch without her noticing. Heh. Money good.

Why wrong? You didn't give Sarah's player any say in her own character's skill or actions. This silly combat form is for chatrooms where there won't be any continuity, not games that will be sustained for any time at all. Sarah's character may have had the skill to avoid some of those--and maybe not--but you can't be sure. Don't play other characters' actions, or lack of actions, for them, and don't decide other people's skill for them. What if Sarah turned out to be a plant-monster? Oops! That blood spatter you said existed really couldn't. What if Sarah turns out to be a highly skilled monk with far more combat training than you. Oops! You wouldn't have been able to hit her. What if she were a sorceric thingie made of water and can't sustain damage? Hm. Too bad you already caused a continuity problem, right? Never make assumptions. If you think you've thought of every possibility, think again. Trust your fellow players to be creative, they surprise you.

Correct A: Billybob smiles. Then, out of nowhere, his sword flashes at Sarah's arm, blade aimed to bury itself in her tendon to paralyze it.
Correct B: Billybob feints with his sword, but then sneakily leaps up at the last moment, knee careening towards Sarah's chin.
Correct C: Billybob's hand sneaks towards Sarah's pouch, trying to withdraw three gold coins while she's looking at the robin. He's a very good thief, after all, and...well. Money good.

On the other side of the coin, this is an honor system. In such, for the love of gosh, be honorable. Stick to the skills that you outline in your original character description, and if the other person's character is better at that exact thing, then be honest. If you were to lunge towards my character with a skilled sword, she may be able to get away from it and redirect it judo-style. If that was a feint and there's also a sword slashing laterally at her side, it will connect. Because I'm honest about her abilities, and I know she won't be able to avoid that.

Here's a sample of freeform combat done right. Notice that the characters are affecting each other in a big way, but that every single time, the decision about what the result will be is left to the other player.

"Mary-beth smiled. Wow. Pig. Half a second later, her trademark 'manly-punch' careened towards John's cheek."
"John's eyes were wide...as he stared at a fist he'd just barely managed to catch. Wow. A woman should not punch that fast. 'I must say, Madame, that was rather unnecessary, and...' This was where he realized that he'd leaned too far off the stool. Mostly because it tipped, sending him tumbling off the back still holding onto Mary-beth's hand."
"Mary-beth shrieked as she went tumbling down with him. '****! ****! Murder! Kill'im!'"

...And wasn't that fun? If MB's player had just said "She punched him in the face, sending him tumbling to the floor," none of that would have happened. Trust your fellow players!

13. Remember that we respect you as a player, not a character. It doesn't matter how dark, powerful, awesomely skilled, mysterious, beautiful, or anything else your character is. Anyone can write a godly-awesome anime rip-off. We care about how well you interact with other characters, how you develop plot, how developed and realistic your char's personality is, and just how awesome a player you are. Always impress each other that way, not by character coolness! :3
Closed Thread
Membear Info

ADVERTISEMENT

Tags
<br!n!g!rl>, cara