BI is not affiliated Build-a-Bearville or Build-a-Bear Workshop.

Closed Thread
Old 04-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Freya
Founder
BABV Name: FreyaFullofHugs

Freya is a jewel in the roughFreya is a jewel in the roughFreya is a jewel in the rough
 Freya is offline Status: Offline
Default Virtual Walk for Autism!

A new articles entry has been added:

Article# 362: Virtual Walk for Autism!

April is Autism Awareness Month! Please consider joining in our Bearville Insider Virtual Walk for Autism on Saturday, April 25 at 4:00 pm est. Coffee House, Sweet Sierra Den!

Click the image to open in full size.Our April Virtual Walk for Autism will be hosted by Loveablegirl (BABV name Angelaloveable7). The members of Bearville Insider have been organizing and participating in Virtual Care Walks throughout Buildabearville.com for some time. Powered by Bearville Insider volunteer staff and members, the goal of these walks is to come together and participate in a virtual care event for an express purpose. I hope you join us and continue to volunteer as organizers or participants in these special events.

The objectives for our Virtual Walk for Autism is threefold, as follows:
  • Raise awareness about autism and its challenges.
  • Show support for individuals diagnosed with a form of autism and families with loved ones on the autism spectrum.
  • Allow BearvilleInsider.com community members the experience of organizing a Virtual Care event and inspire them to see how they can get involved and make a difference.
The dress code for April Virtual Walk for Autism is purple signifying the purple satin heart available for purchase at Build-A-Bear Workshop! Your entire $1 donation for the purchase of a purple satin heart will be distributed through the Build-A-Bear Workshop Foundation to Autism Speaks through April 30!

Below is the date, time, den and course for the April BI Virtual Walk for Autism throughout Buildabearville.com. To determine the time in other zones, click the time chart link here.
Saturday, April 25, at 4:00 pm eastern time.
Meet and Begin at Sweet Sierra Den, Coffee House
4:00 to 4:15 pm EST

1. Meet and Begin at Coffee Shop 4:00 – 4:15 pm EST
2. 4:15 Start
3. Fashion District,
4. (take arrow right to) Pawforming Art Center,
5. (take top arrow up to) Bear University,
6. (take right arrow to) Sportsplex,
7. Neighborhood,
8. (take bottom arrow to) Paw Park,
9. Friendship Forest Park,
10. (take right arrow to) Entrance,
11. Path,
12. Farm,
13. Cave,
14. Sunshines Shores Cave,
15. Sunshine Shores,
16. Pawsitively Green Center.

The following is an excerpt from http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Autism is a complex neurobiological disorder that typically lasts throughout a person's lifetime. It is part of a group of disorders known as autism spectrum disorders (ASD). Today, 1 in 150 individuals is diagnosed with autism, making it more common than pediatric cancer, diabetes, and AIDS combined. It occurs in all racial, ethnic, and social groups and is four times more likely to strike boys than girls. Autism impairs a person's ability to communicate and relate to others. It is also associated with rigid routines and repetitive behaviors, such as obsessively arranging objects or following very specific routines. Symptoms can range from very mild to quite severe.

Autism was first identified in 1943 by Dr. Leo Kanner of Johns Hopkins Hospital. At the same time, a German scientist, Dr. Hans Asperger, described a milder form of the disorder that is now known as Asperger Syndrome. For more discussion on autism visit autismspeaks.org

BearvilleInsider.com Virtual Walks started with a walk for cancer in June when our YellowRoseofTexas (BABV: MiriamStar) asked, Why can't we have a cancer walk? It would be wonderful to show our support for all cancers. We could wear different color t-shirts, like purple for ovarian cancer, blue for prostrate cancer, pink and gold and so forth. Since then, our walks for cancer, kennel pals and now autism have been organized by members of Bearville Insider, with staff assistance, to offer our members the experience of organizing such events.

To be a virtual walker you'll need to sign up for an account at www.buildabearville.com. Membership is free. Citizens create their own characters - called avatars - by choosing skin color, hair style and fashion style as well as bring your furry friend to life online. Build-A-Bearville was created by Build-A-Bear Workshop, which sells customizable bears and other stuffed animals online and in stores.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:18 PM
ClarissaDiva10
Polar Bear
BABV Name: i got hacked so bye c:

ClarissaDiva10 has a brilliant futureClarissaDiva10 has a brilliant futureClarissaDiva10 has a brilliant futureClarissaDiva10 has a brilliant futureClarissaDiva10 has a brilliant futureClarissaDiva10 has a brilliant futureClarissaDiva10 has a brilliant futureClarissaDiva10 has a brilliant futureClarissaDiva10 has a brilliant futureClarissaDiva10 has a brilliant futureClarissaDiva10 has a brilliant future
 ClarissaDiva10 is offline Status: Offline

Thank you Freya!I'll for sure come!
Old 04-21-2009, 09:19 PM
LittleC
Trading Teddy
BABV Name: CarolynCuddles25

LittleC will become famous soon enough
 LittleC is offline Status: Offline

That's sounds awesome! I'll try my hardest to be there!
Old 04-21-2009, 09:21 PM
ScarlettJingles
Sage Bear
BABV Name: ScarlettJingles

ScarlettJingles will become famous soon enough
 ScarlettJingles is offline Status: Offline

What a great idea! I think I'll be able to make it; people are coming over my house that day but not until 6:00pm EST. Thanks for hosting this Loveablegirl, and thanks for posting all the info Freya! I know two boys with autism, and I'd love to take part in the walk. I'll see you guys there!
Edit: Something last-minute just came up and I don't know if I'll be able to come after all Hopefully I still can; I'll try to be there!

Last edited by ScarlettJingles; 04-25-2009 at 01:23 PM..
Old 04-21-2009, 09:22 PM
Husky11
Trading Teddy
BABV Name: DianaSoPawsome

Husky11 has a spectacular aura aboutHusky11 has a spectacular aura about
 Husky11 is offline Status: Offline

I'll be there! Thanks Freya and Lovablegirl!!
Old 04-21-2009, 09:26 PM
SelenaSkater28
Trading Teddy
BABV Name: → SelenaSkater28 ←

SelenaSkater28 has a spectacular aura aboutSelenaSkater28 has a spectacular aura about
 SelenaSkater28 is offline Status: Offline

Cool!!!!!! I will absolutely be there. Just make sure to remind me cuz I will forget. LOL
Old 04-21-2009, 09:29 PM
FaithFurshionista7
Trading Teddy
BABV Name: FaithFurshionista7

FaithFurshionista7 will become famous soon enough
 FaithFurshionista7 is offline Status: Offline

I'll see if I can come, I really want to, I'm particapating in a real walk for autism in June.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:01 PM
LuvNStuff
Trading Teddy
BABV Name: MarykateCityStyle3

LuvNStuff is a name known to allLuvNStuff is a name known to allLuvNStuff is a name known to allLuvNStuff is a name known to allLuvNStuff is a name known to allLuvNStuff is a name known to all
 LuvNStuff is offline Status: Offline

I will FOR SURE come. Someone near and dear to my heart has a kind of autism and I hope for one day, that there will be a cure.

~SweetStuff-Luu
Old 04-21-2009, 10:11 PM
TessaSweet
Trading Teddy
BABV Name: TessaSweet

TessaSweet is on a distinguished road
 TessaSweet is offline Status: Offline

I don't think this will interfere with any RW stuff, but I will DEFINITELY try and be there.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:23 PM
StarrBalletBear
Sage Bear
BABV Name: StarrBalletBear, KendraMay40

StarrBalletBear has a reputation beyond reputeStarrBalletBear has a reputation beyond reputeStarrBalletBear has a reputation beyond reputeStarrBalletBear has a reputation beyond reputeStarrBalletBear has a reputation beyond reputeStarrBalletBear has a reputation beyond reputeStarrBalletBear has a reputation beyond reputeStarrBalletBear has a reputation beyond reputeStarrBalletBear has a reputation beyond reputeStarrBalletBear has a reputation beyond reputeStarrBalletBear has a reputation beyond repute
 StarrBalletBear is offline Status: Offline

OMG! This is going to be so much fun.
I missed the last BI virtual walk, but I know for sure, I'm not missing this one!
Closed Thread
Membear Info

ADVERTISEMENT

Tags
and she did!, aylaheart is coming, bella was here :), crazykrystal coming!, hakanumi is coming!, husky11 coming, ilyssamae and eviepaw, lotsa came, markbrown21 came! :), markbrown21 is coming! :), mikaela came! 4/25/09, pie is coming!, sweetstuff-luu is coming!