BI is not affiliated Build-a-Bearville or Build-a-Bear Workshop.

Go Back   Bearville Insider Forum > The Red Carpet! Your first stop! > Yikes! I need help!! > Guides & How-to's

Closed Thread
Old 08-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Royal Blue
Polar Bear
BABV Name: ZaraZebra29

Royal Blue is on a distinguished road
 Royal Blue is offline Status: Offline
Cool Royal Blue's Guide on How to Draw a Bear on MS Paint. (Plus Some Other Nifty Things)

Okay I had nothing better to do last night, so I decided to make a How to Draw Guide. I'm not sure how helpful it will be but hey, it's worth a shot.

Welcome to my first how to draw guide! This guide will show you how to draw a cute little bear on MS Paint! In other words from
Click the image to open in full size.
Quite impressive, eh? But that's not all this guide contains! It also shows how to do some interesting things on Paint that you may or may not know about, and at the end I have a brief bit of information on what will happen if you save your picture as some different types of files. So go ahead, read on, you just might learn something new!

Step 1: Everything starts out with an idea, and that’s exactly what you see in this first picture; my idea. Okay so the first step is simple enough, simply sketch out your bear in RED. (There’s a reason for this so please make sure to follow this step!!!) As you may or may not be able to see, the tools I used were the circle drawing tool Click the image to open in full size., the line tool Click the image to open in full size., and the pencil Click the image to open in full size.. (Sorry for the shadows, that has to do with an art drawing tool I have plugged into my computer. :P)
Step 2: Got that? Pawsome! Now that you have your sketch drawn out, we’re going to fix those unruly red lines. Do you see what I did in this next picture? I changed the colour to BLACK and using the red lines as a guide, began tracing over my picture with cleaner black lines.
Okay, I’m done tracing over my picture and now what we have to do is get rid of those ugly red lines.
Step 3: To get rid of the red lines we have to make our colours look like this: Click the image to open in full size. After you’ve done that, pull out your eraser Click the image to open in full size. and hold down the RIGHT side of your mouse.
This will erase only the red lines. What we have left is a black-lined drawing. This is called lineart. Now our picture looks like this:
Step 4: Okay, our picture looks alright but it could be much better. This is your chance to fix any problems you might be having with your lineart. IF THERE IS ANYTHING AT ALL YOU ARE UNHAPPY WITH MAKE SURE TO FIX IT NOW. AFER THIS STEP YOU WILL HAVE PASSED THE POINT OF NO RETURN!!! Okay, I’ve done all of the changes I needed to do and I also drew some circles on the bottoms of our bear’s feet and I defined the insides of his ears.
Step 5: Furbulous! Now that our lineart is done, we get to start colouring! :3 Our bear is going to be pretty simple; he will be brown and cream coloured. There are already a bunch of colours you can easily access right above your picture:
However, for our drawing we won’t be using any of them; they are too basic. To get to all of the pretty colours, you can double click on any of the basic colours to get this pop-up:
Select a colour that is closest to the colour you are trying to get and click ‘Define Custom Colors >>’. I picked one of the browns:
See that little black triangle I circled? You have to move that up and down to darken or lighten-up your colour. If you click on the colour spectrum you will see this: Click the image to open in full size. Moving this around will also change your colour. When you are happy with your new colour, click ‘Add to Custom Colours’. Your new colour will appear in one of those once white boxes under custom colours.
Just click it, press OK, and you’re good to go! Now you can use the fill bucket Click the image to open in full size. to colour some areas of your picture. Here is our bear now:
Step 6: We are going to do the exact same thing to colour our bear’s muzzle, the insides of his ears, and the bottoms of his feet. This time I will use a cream colour.
[Continued]

Last edited by Royal Blue; 08-11-2009 at 05:39 PM..
Old 08-11-2009, 12:19 PM
JaydenSapphire1
Sage Bear
BABV Name: jayy(:

JaydenSapphire1 is a splendid one to beholdJaydenSapphire1 is a splendid one to beholdJaydenSapphire1 is a splendid one to beholdJaydenSapphire1 is a splendid one to beholdJaydenSapphire1 is a splendid one to beholdJaydenSapphire1 is a splendid one to beholdJaydenSapphire1 is a splendid one to behold
 JaydenSapphire1 is offline Status: Offline

Awesome guide!!!!
Old 08-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Royal Blue
Polar Bear

[Continued from last post]
Step 7: Now we have to colour his eyes and nose. DO NOT USE PURE BLACK!!! Our lineart is black, not our picture! Pull up the colour spectrum again and choose a colour that is close to black but is not quite black! Okay now put a little white circle in each of your bear’s eyes. That white circle is the gleam that the light makes on his eyes. Where you place them will determine what direction it appears he is looking in.

Step 8: This next step is optional, but I highly recommend it. In this step we will begin coloring the lineart. Extract Click the image to open in full size. the brown you coloured your bear with and click Colours-Edit Colours.
This time DON’T select a colour and instead just click ‘Define Custom Colors >>’ this will bring up your brown and you can make your colour darker at this point. Now that your colour is a little bit darker than your original brown, go ahead and add that to your custom colours. Don’t worry if your original brown is replaced by your new brown on the custom colours list. When we need it later we will just extract it from our picture. Our colours should now look something like this: Click the image to open in full size. We need them to look like this: Click the image to open in full size. To do that make a small mark somewhere with your dark brown, select the black Click the image to open in full size., and then take out your eyedropperClick the image to open in full size., and RIGHT click the small dark brown mark you made. Your colours should now look something like this: Click the image to open in full size.. Now we are going to use the same trick that we used to get rid of those red lines. Remember how? Just take out the eraser, hold down the right side of the mouse, and go over the same lines I went over in the following picture. (You can go ahead and erase the mark now.)
Step 9: If you did the step above, go ahead and do this one too. I did the exact same thing as I did in the previous step except I coloured the rest of the lineart we are going to colour cream.
Step 10: Time to start shading! Go to your colour spectrum and select a colour that is darker than the brown you coloured your bear with, and lighter than your lineart (that is if you coloured your lineart :P).
Draw out the area you are going to shade like this:
And then use the fill bucket like this:
Do the same throughout the rest of your bear. (Hint: If you can’t figure out the places you should add the shading to, try to imagine where the sun is. The places that the light doesn’t reach would be shadow and the places that it hits the most would be lighter than the rest of your bear. If you can’t imagine where the sun is you could always just temporarily draw a little sun somewhere and use that. Note that I drew my bear’s shading so that he is facing towards the sun. )

Step 11: If you coloured your lineart, then you can do this step (it’s optional). If you didn’t colour it, don’t worry about it; go ahead and go to the next step. All I did here is I made my lineart darker where the shadows were.
Step 12: Okay, now we have to shade the cream parts of our bear; I shaded the insides of his ears, right under his nose, and right under his mouth. I also shaded the lineart where the cream coloured shadows were. (I only did a tiny part in his ears if you are doing this and wanted to know.)
Step 13: Time to add the highlights! Highlighting is the opposite of shading. Highlights are the parts that the light hits most. First we will do the easy part: the nose. All you have to do is add a little bit of dark, dark grey to the top! After that, using the same method as you did to add the shading, add your highlights! If you don’t know where to put them, you can put them where I put them or you can refer to the hint in step 11.
Step 14: Okay your bear is actually done now but I wasn’t happy with how dark my shadows were and how light my highlights were, so I lightened up my shadows and vice versa. You can do this too if you want but if you are happy with your bear, I wouldn’t make any changes. The first picture is my finished bear and the second picture is my bear edited so you could see how it looks with black lineart.
Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
[Continued]
Old 08-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Royal Blue
Polar Bear

[Continued from last post]

Step 15: You may have finished your bear, but we aren’t quite done yet! Time to save the picture! Click File-Save and you should get a pop-up like this:
As you can see, I named my picture ‘littlebrownbear’. Go ahead and name your picture now. Now that you’ve named it, you have to save your picture as one of the available file types. Don’t just click any old file though! Save your image as a 24-bit Bitmap! Why? Just refer to the following picture:
Dragon #1 is a JPEG file; this usually ruins pictures I draw on Paint due to the fact that all the pixels go weird. This is because JPEGs compress files. Dragon #2 is my original; it is a 24-bit Bitmap. Dragon #3 is a 16-Colour Bitmap. Dragon #4 is a GIF. Notice the little pixely x’s all over it? Dragon #5 is a Monochrome Bitmap; you save your bear as this type of file and your picture’s toast. Dragon #6 is a 256-Colour Bitmap.

Okay, well that’s the end of my guide! I hope it helped you even if it was just a little bit. Also, I would really appreciate it if you could post on a scale of one to ten how difficult this guild was. (One being REALLY easy and ten being extremely hard.) Thank you!

EDIT: Okay I just noticed that because Tinypic converted all of my pictures to JPEG format, the 24-bit Bitmap dragon is now a JPEG dragon. Sorry about that! =/

Last edited by Royal Blue; 08-11-2009 at 05:44 PM..
Old 08-11-2009, 12:52 PM
kittykatkm
Trading Teddy
BABV Name: katfuzzybear1

kittykatkm will become famous soon enoughkittykatkm will become famous soon enough
 kittykatkm is offline Status: Offline

Pawsome guide! The bear is 'beary' cute.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:57 PM
MistyBear61
Polar Bear
BABV Name: Mist (Jez)

MistyBear61 has a brilliant futureMistyBear61 has a brilliant futureMistyBear61 has a brilliant futureMistyBear61 has a brilliant futureMistyBear61 has a brilliant futureMistyBear61 has a brilliant futureMistyBear61 has a brilliant futureMistyBear61 has a brilliant futureMistyBear61 has a brilliant futureMistyBear61 has a brilliant futureMistyBear61 has a brilliant future
 MistyBear61 is offline Status: Offline

This is a great guide! But perhaps you should do a template of the red bear and it traced in black as some people (me for example) can't draw that ! r perhaps do a guide on how do draw the bear! ! Excellent though! I added rating and rep! And a tag!
Old 08-11-2009, 01:06 PM
MillieBlue2
Trading Teddy
BABV Name: MilieBlue2

MillieBlue2 has a reputation beyond reputeMillieBlue2 has a reputation beyond reputeMillieBlue2 has a reputation beyond reputeMillieBlue2 has a reputation beyond reputeMillieBlue2 has a reputation beyond reputeMillieBlue2 has a reputation beyond reputeMillieBlue2 has a reputation beyond reputeMillieBlue2 has a reputation beyond reputeMillieBlue2 has a reputation beyond reputeMillieBlue2 has a reputation beyond reputeMillieBlue2 has a reputation beyond repute
 MillieBlue2 is offline Status: Offline

This is a Great Guide!!!
Old 08-11-2009, 01:11 PM
hellokitty
Polar Bear
BABV Name: Heidiallheart44;Brittneypink16

hellokitty will become famous soon enoughhellokitty will become famous soon enough
 hellokitty is offline Status: Offline

awesome! you're drawings are amazing!
Old 08-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Royal Blue
Polar Bear

View Post Originally Posted by MistyBear61
This is a great guide! But perhaps you should do a template of the red bear and it traced in black as some people (me for example) can't draw that ! r perhaps do a guide on how do draw the bear! ! Excellent though! I added rating and rep! And a tag!
Thank you beary much! And as for making a template of the bear, the bear you guys draw isn't supposed to look identical to mine. Everyone has their own art style. Anyways, the red bear shouldn't be too tough to draw if you look at my example and use the tools I mentioned. It's just a bunch of circles and lines.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:23 PM
ClarissaDiva10
Polar Bear
BABV Name: i got hacked so bye c:

ClarissaDiva10 has a brilliant futureClarissaDiva10 has a brilliant futureClarissaDiva10 has a brilliant futureClarissaDiva10 has a brilliant futureClarissaDiva10 has a brilliant futureClarissaDiva10 has a brilliant futureClarissaDiva10 has a brilliant futureClarissaDiva10 has a brilliant futureClarissaDiva10 has a brilliant futureClarissaDiva10 has a brilliant futureClarissaDiva10 has a brilliant future
 ClarissaDiva10 is offline Status: Offline

wow this is awesome!Thanx!
Closed Thread
Membear Info

ADVERTISEMENT

Tags
:)), bear, brilliant!-mistybear61, disney_fan01 waz here!, draw, millieblue2, paint, teddy bear! glomp