BI is not affiliated Build-a-Bearville or Build-a-Bear Workshop.

Go Back   Bearville Insider Forum > The Red Carpet! Your first stop! > Forum Rules

Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2010, 01:06 PM
katherinesunbeam
Trading Teddy
BABV Name: NellieSunBeam

katherinesunbeam is a splendid one to beholdkatherinesunbeam is a splendid one to beholdkatherinesunbeam is a splendid one to beholdkatherinesunbeam is a splendid one to beholdkatherinesunbeam is a splendid one to beholdkatherinesunbeam is a splendid one to beholdkatherinesunbeam is a splendid one to behold
 katherinesunbeam is offline Status: Offline

I understand. I would get upset if someone didn't credit me for something. d:
Old 06-29-2010, 10:23 PM
BriniGirl
Sage Bear

BriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond repute
 BriniGirl is offline Status: Offline

View Post Originally Posted by Rainribbon
Yes, that's what I'm trying to explain. If you aren't the person who originally drew it, photographed it, wrote it, or crafted it in some other way, you're not the copyright holder. There are very complex laws around derivative works (imitations of other things, like if I drew my own version of Mickey Mouse on paper) and parodies.

For example, derivative works are not fully the creations of the person who made them. They can only be counted as that person's intellectual property to the extent that they are different from the original.

Examples:

1. A Miss Build-a-Bearville Pageant is based on Miss (insert location name here) such as Miss America, Miss France, and other national or regional Miss whatevers. If five people make Miss Build-a-Bearville pageants, they are likely to have arrived at the same idea by themselves.

2. The annual "50 Most Beautiful People" is posted in...err...whatever magazine does that (Time?) Three members of this site make "50 Most Beautiful Bears" or "[insert some number here] Most Beautiful Hairdos of Build-a-Bearville." They're imitating the magazine, not each other.

3. I go to the Bearywood Mall in Build-a-Bearville and I make a skirt that is pink with purple stars and a lavender paw belt. Someone else goes to the Bearywood Mall and makes a skirt that is almost exactly the same, because we both happen to like purple and pink clothing, and want skirts with stars and paw belts.

I run into this other person in the game, and both of us have characters wearing the same skirt. I can't say that she copied my skirt, because neither of us saw the other's until that moment.

4. I love Peter Gabriel music. Suppose that someone else on these forums also likes it.

Gabriel and his daughter come out with a new song, and we both hear it on the radio at different times in a week. Each of us makes a parody of this song and posts it to the forums. But neither of us read the other's parody before writing our own.
EXACTLY! I'm glad we're on the same page. I hope others are too. :0)
View Post Originally Posted by purpleoranges
No, they didn't The winner of my challenge made her own( that was the prize) and kept on going. I personally know the owner of the song challenge.
Not neccesarily the song challenge person. I'm saying anyone. Up to what RainRibbon said...there are writers challenges EVERYwhere. We have them on WI, animalcrossingcommunity, facebook, magazines, ect. You can't exactly claim and idea like that because it's been around for a long, long time.

You might have just thought of it, and not seen it anywhere else. As maybe the other owners of threads similar to yours have. (excluding the song owner)

Not trying to be rude or anything, I just want to say the facts.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:28 PM
Rainribbon
Sage Bear
BABV Name: YvetteCurlyFur

Rainribbon is just really niceRainribbon is just really niceRainribbon is just really niceRainribbon is just really niceRainribbon is just really nice
 Rainribbon is offline Status: Offline

Writing challenges have been around since writing began . Did you know that Valentine's Day poetry supposedly came about because of a writing challenge started by Charles d'Orleans (14th-15th century)? It may be a myth, but it's pretty cool anyway.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:28 PM
purpleoranges
Polar Bear
BABV Name: rileyzoom15

purpleoranges has much to be proud ofpurpleoranges has much to be proud ofpurpleoranges has much to be proud ofpurpleoranges has much to be proud ofpurpleoranges has much to be proud ofpurpleoranges has much to be proud ofpurpleoranges has much to be proud ofpurpleoranges has much to be proud of
 purpleoranges is offline Status: Offline

View Post Originally Posted by BriniGirl
EXACTLY! I'm glad we're on the same page. I hope others are too. :0)

Not neccesarily the song challenge person. I'm saying anyone. Up to what RainRibbon said...there are writers challenges EVERYwhere. We have them on WI, animalcrossingcommunity, facebook, magazines, ect. You can't exactly claim and idea like that because it's been around for a long, long time.

You might have just thought of it, and not seen it anywhere else. As maybe the other owners of threads similar to yours have. (excluding the song owner)

Not trying to be rude or anything, I just want to say the facts.

I didn't "claim" Anything. I simply stated that I started the writers challenge ON BI. And I know for a FACT that the other two challenged saw mine first and that sparked a fad. So yes, I believe I did start the challenge fad, at least partway.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:50 PM
DemetriaZeroBear
Banned

DemetriaZeroBear will become famous soon enough
 DemetriaZeroBear is offline Status: Offline

Oh yeah, i dont know if this is part of this thread but i assume it is, I was once accused for stealing a backround that was off google images
Old 06-29-2010, 10:56 PM
Rainribbon
Sage Bear

Rainribbon is just really niceRainribbon is just really niceRainribbon is just really niceRainribbon is just really niceRainribbon is just really nice

I'm aware of that issue, too. If someone has taken something off of Google images, was not its original creator, and then claims that they made it (and worse, that someone else stole it from them!), that's plagiarism.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:18 AM
BriniGirl
Sage Bear

BriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBriniGirl has a reputation beyond repute

View Post Originally Posted by purpleoranges
I didn't "claim" Anything. I simply stated that I started the writers challenge ON BI. And I know for a FACT that the other two challenged saw mine first and that sparked a fad. So yes, I believe I did start the challenge fad, at least partway.
I'm not neccesarily saying you did. AWESOME that you started a 'fad,' it truly doesn't matter.

@rainribbon :: Did you just randomly memorize that and it's just like *snap* and cool facts come out, or did you google it.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:36 PM
Rainribbon
Sage Bear

View Post Originally Posted by BriniGirl
@rainribbon :: Did you just randomly memorize that and it's just like *snap* and cool facts come out, or did you google it.
Randomly memorize what? The thing about Charles d'Orleans? Neither, really.

I was taught it, and I remembered it because I found it interesting. It may also be useful to me some day for my job, which requires that I have a lot of knowledge that others find random and useless.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:08 PM
BriniGirl
Sage Bear

Cool! I'm locking that random bit of knowledge in my mind for someday when I might need it...most likely on here teaching about writing challenges. hehehe

Idk if we're allowed to ask, but what's your job? (or goal for job) I want to be a graphic artist.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:55 PM
Rainribbon
Sage Bear

I'll take the conversation to PMs, so it's not going off-topic here.
Closed Thread
Membear Info

ADVERTISEMENT

Tags
<br!n!g!rl>, cara, kalina, meghan, simone was here <3, ♥jellybean